Quietest fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fw2004

Hi;
I'm looking for some real quiet 120mm fans.
Currently I have 3 Antec black double bb fans. They make a lot of noise.

My other thought is to slow down the fans. One of them is controlled by the Antec True Power supply, but I think it's the CPU fan I have running at full speed. I'm going to look into plugging it into the MOBO (Asus P5AD2E Premium) to have it's speed controlled as well.

FW

Depends on what part of the noise is annoying you.

1. You see the 'whooshing' noise of air passing through the fan can only be removed by lowering the speed of the fan, to do this you would either (as you already mentioned) connect the fan to the motherboard and let it control the fan speed or you would get a device similar to the Zalman fanmate that let's you control the speed of the fan by turning a nob.

2. If the noise that is annoying you is not the sound that the airmakes , but rather the sound of the fan motor itself either as a rattling sound or a very high-piched sound, then what you need is some new fans that are built around dual ball-bearings or fluid-bearings. When buying new fans always go for the biggest ones that will fit in your case. Bigger fans move more air at the same speed as smaller fans.

As I can see your fans are already of the type using dual ball-bearings, I wouldn't suggest you to go out and buy new ones, unless the noise you are hearing is more like what is discribed in part 2.

You can modify your fans to run on 5V rather than 12V, they'll still work and it won't hurt them any, you'll just get slightly less than half the airflow. Will be TONS quieter though.

With a bit of thought you should be able to get the things running at 7V as well. Here is a good link: http://www.afrotechmods.com/fanmod.htm

Note: Not for people without some common sense.

I just install the cooler master (KHC-L91) HYPER48 92mm PWM and Thermal Control Function for my 775 Intel cpu.
It's very quiet and tripled my cpu fan speed.

Thanks for the advice guys;
It seems that I had a setting in the BIOS wrong. Asus Q-Fan was not working properly. Now it is. The CPU fan is running much slower now (CPU temp is running at 40C now). I have target CPU temp set to 54, which is when the fan speed will be increased.

Apparently it was the CPU fan that was making all the noise. I control the rear chassis fan and the PS fan with a knob on the FP. I have the ASUS probe running so I can monitor the critical temps and adjust the case fan if I need to.

Much quiter! I am a happy camper, and my computer seems happy too!

FW

fw2004 said:
Thanks for the advice guys;
It seems that I had a setting in the BIOS wrong. Asus Q-Fan was not working properly. Now it is. The CPU fan is running much slower now (CPU temp is running at 40C now). I have target CPU temp set to 54, which is when the fan speed will be increased.

Apparently it was the CPU fan that was making all the noise. I control the rear chassis fan and the PS fan with a knob on the FP. I have the ASUS probe running so I can monitor the critical temps and adjust the case fan if I need to.

Much quiter! I am a happy camper, and my computer seems happy too!

FW
My cpu temp is 23 C and the fan is a very quiet 3200 rpm.
The asus manual example is 51 C and 3800 rpm.
They say the cooler the better.
I am very happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back