R8500 graphics corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

eveneannenevs

I got a radeon 8500 yesterday via UPS and it was about 100 degrees out (this could play a part, so read on). I uninstalled my geforce 2 and installed the R8500. I first noticed with certain items of text there was corruption, and when I opened the start menu i noticed corruption as well. Not until did I move my mouse over the items did they get fixed - odd?

I sort of blew it off and went into the display properties and fooled around with some of the options for OpenGL and D3D.

I then went to try out Q3A. It started up all nice and I started a single player game. I noticed that some of the textures were flying around when I moved, and that I was getting some major artifacts. Although the frame rates were high and things were crisp, the artifacts were really bugging me.

I went on to try Counter-Strike in OpenGL mode - everything runs flawless. ??? From there I tried a bunch of other games - - FIFA 2002, Red Faction, Hitman, and JK2. They all had the same graphics corruption - artifacts flying everywhere. I tried two different drivers, one off the ATI site and one off the CD included (also the windows xp detected version which I think is the same as the CD version). I even switched monitors! After messing around for hours with different options, resolutions and what not, the games still do it.

PLEASE, any help would be great to see if I can fix it or if I have to return it. My only idea is that the extreme heat that week might have damaged it? Since it was shipped UPS Ground it was exposed to 100 degree heat for about a week.

THANK YOU ANYBODY!!!!!!!!!

I should probably list my specs?

Radeon 8500 64 MB DDR
Athlon T-bird 1.4 Ghz
Thermaltake Volcano 7
IWill KD266 motherboard
384 MB PC133 RAM
20 Gig WD HD

anything important I missed just let me know?

There was a stink about the graphical quality of the Radeon 8500 awhile back. It is possible you might be seeing the effects of ATI's extremely low quality settings.

The best suggestion I have is to get on their website and download the new Catalyst drivers (They work great!).

I have had a smiliar problem with my menu text. I was using Windows 2000 and a Voodoo3.. Sometimes while watching TV on my computer, the menu text would corrupt... It looked almost like ancient chinese symbols or something. ;) When I went back over them though, they would return to normal (sometimes). A reboot would usually fix this problem.

Those are the only suggestions I really have for you, other than adjust your quality settings to "high". There's a good chance your card may be damaged, but it will take a lot more than 100*F and an careless UPS driver to do that.

Try cleaning out your registry, perhaps there are some traces of the old Geforce settings hanging around. If it's possible, is there another machine to test the card in? If it displays artifatcs, RMA it:)

I've noticed that ati cards mess up the text. I've had many ati cards in my old computer and there always seems to be a clash with everysingle ati card i've had and text. Like in avp with my old rage video card the text would get scrambled and in my newer 128 pro my text would get scrambled with warcraft III. I just thought i would let you know that this problem isn't just the radeon.

There is an option called "alternate pixel centre" under "compabilitysettings" under Direct3D in the advanced display properties which fixes this problem, just turn it on off vice versa to fix your problem with text...

Is the card built by ATI ?

There have been reports of bad quality components being used on Radeon cards built by other companies ( mostly new & small ones ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back