Radeon 9500 Pro: To overclock or not to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Per Hansson

Staff member
Radeon 9500Pro: To overclock or not to overclock; that is the question

Our buddies over at the [H] have concluded that it's not possible to overclock your 9500Pro or 9700 amateur without modifications.

Increasing or decreasing the clock of the card brought anomalies... A hex value in the BIOS was the limiting factor, so "all" that you need to do is to reflash the card with the modified BIOS and you are ready to go...

Probably ATI are doing this to prevent 9700 amateur buyers from getting a Pro out of their card (like what is possible with Nvidias TI4200)

However it isn't good news for us overclockers though :(

Re: Radeon 9500Pro: To overclock or not to overclock; that is the question

Well, I don't think it'll be much of a problem in a couple of weeks.. Then most tweak sites should have good BIOS'es up for grabs without that limit...

In the meantime, just visit the manufacturer of your card and download a BIOS for a 9700pro/9500pro... That should do the trick :)
(Just remember to back up the old BIOS before you flash!)

Well, the thing is that flashing your BIOS is a dangerous undertaking.

And should it go wrong it wont be covered under warranty, so OC:ing a 9500 is not for the averge Mr. Joe who plays games and surf the web...

Nvidia hasn't followed but they probably will since they saw what happened to their TI4400 range of chips

(Everyone bought a TI4200 and OC:ed it past TI4400 speed...)

I'm running my 9500 pro at 320/300 :)

3d chipset.com has the files to do so.

Connect3D Radeon Pro 9500

Could I use this great BIOS "upgrade" by Warp11 on my Connect3D Radeon 9500 Pro card ? (or is it just for ATI's home grown ones ?)

Cheers

overclocking...

hey guys....i just overclocked my Radeon 9500pro with radlink...radclock...
it really does help a bit....... Im running Window XP pro.. but i cant find the Dos program or command ...so i figured that i should try and raise the core and memory without flashing the card.. and look how the results is...
my core and memory was 275/270 Now! 317/303 core/memory...
but if i can raise it more can anybody tell me how to flasht the bio?

i tried the floppy disk
and booting with my master CD.. to type in Atiflash at A:\ but nothing happened.... is there ways i could do this? i downloaded the Warp11, Bio and ATiFlash files....Please show me the procedure to do this.... thank you...

If you mod your card you can do even better.

ATI 9500 pro @ 389/315 with a 1u mod. Works great and comes pretty close to an unmodded 9800 pro. About 16500 on 3dmark 2001se. 9800 is around 18000 with the same xp2500 mobile@2.4ghz. You could go with a silencer and probably hit 375. It's easier than a 1u and delivers just about the same performance.

If it ain't broke......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back