Radeon 9600 Flickers in 3D games

Status
Not open for further replies.
When i play games in a 3D environment on my Radeon 9600 Pro like unreal tournament 2004, doom3, lineage 2
The textures seem to flicker..
Whats wrong? :/

I have updated its drivers to latest but even before i updated the drivers i still had flickering problems in 3D games.

My Comp Specs are:
Amd Athlon(tm) XP 2100+
1.74Mhz
512Mb Ram

Much help appreciated..

I've tried that, doesn't seem to work.
argh.. this is annoying..
I can't find any solutions to this problem, Ive searched so many sites but people dont seem to have the same problem I do.

Funny because I had the exact identical problem for the longest time and thats what it eventually came to be. Try bumping up your agp voltage in your bios by 0.1 point...I had to bump mine up from 1.6 to 1.8 to fix a big framerate issue. I do however get massive flickering in Neverwinter Nights since I decided to format. I have an Asus 9600XT 128mb, and so far it is a POS. My gf has a 9600pro in an athlon XP1600+ and it kicks my computers *** in framerates...and like you i have read and searched through many many forums and found nothing.

Well different motherboards have different options. Mine for example when I get into my bios in under 'JumperFree Configuration' and when I set my 'AI Overclock Tuner' to Manual it opens up more fine tuning options. From here I have an 'AGP VDDQ Voltage' which is set to 1.50v from the factory. I had to change mine to 1.80v to fix framerate issues. I dont think that has anything to do with your exact problem though. When you find your settings, try bumping it in .10v increments and I really wouldnt trust pushing it more than .30v total

Sigh.. didnt seem to work, oh well.. thanks for ur help anyway.
Hmm maybe it could be my power supply? Its pretty old

i bought a 400w power voltage and installed it, made no difference though..
oh well, i think this is the last time i buy anything that has ati related..

When i play games in a 3D environment on my Radeon 9600 Pro like unreal tournament 2004, doom3, lineage 2
The textures seem to flicker..
Whats wrong? :/

Use quality Anisotropic mode only, though quality for ATI isn't what real quality actually supposed to be. ATI only used 2D Anisotropic which is broken in 3D space (marketing terminology = "smart and adaptive"), even in quality mode it would still flicker just less of it, adding FSAA will smear the flickerings a little bit more away.

Alternately if you still notice the flickering in quality mode then force Trilinear usage only in all your games. ATI's Trilinear nowaday in newer hardware actually used real 3D filtering algorithm, very unlike the old 2D version used in older series hardware.

I know this topic hasn't been updated in a long time but I couldn't help the fact that I recently just started having this problem with my Radeon 9600. I've searched tons of forums and join this one just for this reason.
The flickering accurs when I attempt to play Command & Conquer: Generals and even when viewing the 3D preview in Catalyst Control. The flickering is very severe and seemed to start happening out of no where.

Asus A7V8X-X
AMD Athlon XP
1 gig ram
350watt power supply
Windows XP Pro SP2

Here is some info about the graphics software and hardware.

Driver Packaging Version: 8.241-060321a1-031959C-ATI
CATALYST® Version: 06.4
Provider: ATI Technologies Inc.
2D Driver Version: 6.14.10.6606
Direct3D Version: 6.14.10.0392
OpenGL Version: 6.14.10.5757
CATALYST® Control Center Version: 1.2.2271.39125
AIW/VIVO WDM Driver Version: 6.14.10.6238
AIW/VIVO WDM SP Driver Version: 6.14.10.6238
TV WONDER / TV WONDER VE Driver Version: 6.13.2408

Graphics Chipset: RADEON 9600 SERIES
Bus Type: AGP