Radeon 9600 performance and overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
We are a tad late reporting the first reviews of Radeon 9600 Pro boards, though our forum members had posted such links as soon as those went up (another reason you may want to keep an eye on the boards). Anyway, the new 9600 Pro is being clocked at an impressive 400/600 MHz (core/memory) in order to compensate for half the pixel pipelines that were left out in this mid-priced model (4 versus 8 found in 9500 Pros and higher end boards). Reviews here, here & here.

Results turned up as expected, the Radeon 9600 Pro managed to beat the GeForceFX 5600 Ultra in pretty much all tests by small margins and used to keep up a tad behind the 'older' 9500 Pro in most tests with the exception of AA and Anisotropic scenarios where the 9500 was able to show its muscle.

Now, one may think overclocking was not a possibility having the already high clock speeds but HardOCP proved us wrong, at least using their reference board they were able to clock the card up to 567/617 MHz using the stock cooler, an even more impressive mark for ATI's 0.13u, RV350 core.

I still believe the 9500 Pro is a better buy, at least while they are available, you can check prices and places to buy here.

I think the 9500 pro is a better buy too after hearing that they were cutting the graphics pipeline in half from the 9500 pro (8) to the 9600 pro (4) I bit the bullet and bought a 9500 Pro while the getting was good. I have been quite pleased with the performace.

That depends on the pcb used, and in what condition the chip is...

Do a little search and you'll find all the info...

9500 pros can only be moded to enable overclocking. they do not have the 256 bit memory on them.

original 9500's (non pro's)which were 9700's with a slower clock speed and 256 bit memory reduced to 128 bit. these can be modded to full 9700 pro specs. ATI has however changed the design of the 9500's to prevent this on newer production cards. the way to tell if the 9500 is unlockable is the arrangement of the memory on the pcb. if the memory is in a straight line ( all four) across the top of the board it is a newer card and cant be modded to full 9700 pro specs. if the memory is in a L shape configuration two on top and two on the right then it is the original design and can be modded.

I did alot of research into modding the 9500's after getting my 9500 pro. the only option I have with the card I have is to unlock it for overclocking via a bios flash. but so far I have not seen any reason to do so. none of the games I am playing exhibit any slowdown etc. with the card in stock form. ( splinter cell, generals, blackhawk down, UT2K3.) but they are a whole lot faster, smoother and better looking than they were with the 8500 I was using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back