Radeon 9800 Pro Direct X problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to this board so please bear with me. I've only owned nVidia boards previously, but I'm coming across a very odd Direct X problem when I try and play any games with the new Radeon 9800 Pro card and my new Sony SDM-S74 LCD monitor, hooked up via DVI.

When I use the monitor normally it works like a dream, but when I try to play any assortment of games, from C&C Generals Zero Hour or Far Cry, the game appears to start loading, but then I get an error message saying something along the lines of "You need to have at least DirectX 8.1 or else your hardware might night be up to the minimum requirements to run this game".

I have installed DirectX 9.0b (the most recent version) as well as updated the newest Catalyst drivers from the ATI website and still get this issue.

Before I started with the LCD monitor, I was using an older Trinitron monitor (analog connection) and everything worked just fine (even with the Radeon and drivers), but when I switched to the LCD, the problems started up.

I've search the ATI FAQs and can't find anything about this other than "Make sure you have the most recent DirectX files installed", which doesn't do me a lot of good.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Jason

Make you sure uninstalled your old moniter properly and have your new moniter installed with the latest drivers. If the system worked fine with the old moniter then the video card shouldn't be the problem. Give that a shot.

A.

When you say you updated your ATI drivers, make sure that you uninstalled the ATI Control Panel and then the Display Adapter Driver from Add / Remove Programs. Unplug your NIC, reboot, then proceed to install your new video drivers. Issues may occur if you do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back