radeon

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Radeon 9800 Pro can still handle most games, (i know, i have one) but Its seriously dated and will be incapable of playing next generations games, and is slow with even modern ones. I cant' play Half-Life 2 at high settings, or Medieval 2/Rome Total War etc etc though that may be down to my poor Athlon XP and slow, insufficient RAM.

I'd say it's time to upgrade, but with DX 10 now upon us you'll need to go PCI-Express.

Unfortunately for you that'll mean a new motherboard (the 9800 is AGP, There are loads of good ones, look in the Guides section or browse upgrade threads in the forums), processor, RAM etc.

You might be better off for gaming buying a new PC, or building one if your confident enough. The other forumites can give loads of recommendations if you want to build.

On the other hand, if you only play casualy or play older games it'll still be okay

The best solution would still be to buy a new computer. Since your current PC has AGP I'm guessing is socket 478 or 754 or an earlier 939. Either way those sockets are kind of dated anyway.

Exactly, An AGP board means either a Socket A Athlon XP or an early P4 (both outdated).
Even new AGP cards can't match up to PCI-Express, pluss you'll be using IDE Hard drive and slow DDR memory. None of that is good for serious gaming now and you'd be much better off for your money buying a new PC.

If your on a tight budget it recommend Dell Outlet, which you can find by using the Dell website search tool. There are some excellent deals though you may have to buy your own monitor/ better graphics card

Better option is to build your own if you have the budget and confidence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back