RAID 0, ASUS K8V-X, VIA HD Controller - How to set up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

astrolabe

Hi

I've a problem with my ASUS K8V-X in that I have lost/mislaid the CD that came with the MoBo. I wanted to set up the two Seagate Barracudas (80GB) to run as a RAID 0. So downloaded the RAID Drivers from the ASUS web site, created a floppy with the RAID drivers on board.

Ran up Win2k CD and F6 to SCSI and RAID drivers. Let the floppy run only to be told that there is an unexpected Error 1164 on Drive D!

Anyone had this or succeeded in getting RAID 0 running on a K8V-X. If so HOW??

I've asked on the ASUS Forum but no sensible answers

Let's just cover the basics first.

You have created a RAID 0 with the discs in the raid controller bios?
And it's working (ie. showing up as healthy)?

The error message says that the problem is
The indicated device requires reinitialization due to hardware errors.

What happens if you don't hit F6? Does the install continue as it should without the error? (Just let it run past it once or twice to see that there isn't another part of the motherboard that is faulty).

Does the disks work? Just install one, let the RAID controller auto-configure it and see if you can install on that (just abort the install after it's gotten way past the problematic point). If that works, try with the other disk in the same way...
If this does work, try setting the disks up as RAID 0 once again to see if the errror manifests itself again. If it does, there can be a problem with the RAID bios, which means an RMA is in order...

Hi

OK Not clear enough explanation of the problem - Both disks are seen by the BIOS, they are currently unformated (Brand New)

I've created the necessary software from VIARAID220d.zip on the ASUS website onto a floppy.

I boot the new system with win2k CD. Press F6 for SATA/RAID drivers. This trundles through OK and then asks for the floppy. Press Enter. Now given 4 choices one of which is win2k. Select and hit enter again. The exact crash info is

File \SATA\win2000\viasraid.sys caused an unexpected error (4103) at line 1211 on D:nt\private\ntos\boot\setup\oemdisk.c.

As I understand it, I'm preparing a driver which win2k will use to drive the 2 Seagates as a RAID 0. The BIOS only has RAID 1 on board. The text with the VIARAID220d.zip says it will allow RAID 0 RAID 1 & RAID 0+1 for the VIA controller on the MoBo. Everything should work! But it doesn't

Ok.

First off, you will have to set up the RAID 0 (which the motherboards support) before you try to install Windows 2000. This means you'll have to enter the RAID bios, and create the RAID there...

Then when the RAID 0 has been created, you can start the win2k install program and supply the RAID drivers. But if you don't define an array, windows won't find any disks to install on.

There's a small guide in the back of your manual on how to set up a RAID 0 (and RAID 1) array which I suggest you follow, and you should be able to install win2k.

Good luck!

Interesting - The BIOS set up only allows for RAID 1. There is no mention of RAID 0.

But I will set it up as RAID 1 and see what happens - Will post conclusion when completed.

Later -

Have done that ie created a RAID with the drives - the system only allows RAID 1 as I said - but that makes no difference the software crashes in exactly the same way!

Thanks..

It's strange that you don't have the option for RAID 0, since the specs here says it should support it.

Looking forward to your findings

I know - But the Tab access to the VIA Raid controller only mentions RAID 1.

I've just tried to update my BIOS to see if that makes a difference. However the system won't upgrade. (Surely the BIOS isn't involved in the VIA RAID controller).

I've emailed ASUS to see what they say, but they say not to expect an answer for 48 hours ie Tuesday!.

Frustrating really

Tom

That's annoying.
Hopefully they'll respond sometime early monday, and it'll be an easy thing to fix.

Good luck!

Hi

ASUS replied from Bejing - sent me a driver and suggested that I extract it to a floppy. The file is ".rar". Is this extractable and if so what with?

WinZip doesn't but Powerzip does!

Now I've got to get Winzip to do the business too

Later - Like Tuesday 30/8

I'm feeling rather foolish - but it happens. I now have a driver (which works) and I have discovered (actually been told by a nice chinese man at ASUS) that when you tab into the VIA RAID setup if you go to create a RAID array you will be offered RAID 1 by default. Now for the foolish bit. Highlight RAID 1 - hit Enter - and low and behold you can choose different settings like RAID 0 and RAID 0+1. Oh dear who's a silly old fool!

Having got this driver would it be an idea to load it up here? if so what's the proceedure?

Tom

.rar is, as you guessed, a compressed file.
You can use WinRar to extract it.

And it sounds like you might be getting somewhere. Keep us posted :)

Hi

I'm feeling rather foolish - but it happens. I now have a driver (which works) and I have discovered (actually been told by a nice chinese man at ASUS) that when you tab into the VIA RAID setup if you go to create a RAID array you will be offered RAID 1 by default. Now for the foolish bit. Highlight RAID 1 - hit Enter - and low and behold you can choose different settings like RAID 0 and RAID 0+1. Oh dear who's a silly old fool!

Having got this driver would it be an idea to load it up here? if so what's the proceedure?

Just a note of warning to anyone out there doing a RAID setup - I had a small hard disk on the IDE line which was only temporary - Win2k ordered the disks c => IDE; D => CDROM; E => RAID. Win2k installed part of the files on the C: drive which was fine until I removed it. Oops - So I had to reinstall again, as the RAID was now C:. Aaagh

I'll stick to hanging temporary HD off the USB port in future.

Congrats with working it out :)

As for the driver, the only place you need to add that is during the install procedure, or later in windows if you boot from an IDE hdd...

Hi

You misunderstood my comment about the driver. Do TechSpot want a copy loaded up in the drivers section, and if so how?

Whooops, sorry.

I don't know, but I think you should contact TechSpot here and post any url you've got to the driver.
Chances are it'll be added, and you credited :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back