RAID 1 w/ Hard Drive Failure Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been slowly building my computer. I had a Maxtor 120 GB HD that failed and I lost some of my data. To have 100% data security I ordered 2 Maxtor 300 GB HD's and configured them for RAID 1. Within only week I received a CRITICAL notification on one of my hard drives. I unplugged one and the computer did not boot, so I unplugged the other instead. The computer booted so I believe I know which HD is the problem. I went to Maxtor.com and downloaded the drive checker. Maxtor states: by using this program I will erase my HD. Ok I have the other one up and running? The questions is... Do I have to disconnect the other HD and plug in the bad one to run this program? How can I be ABSOLUTELY SURE I'm not running the test on the good one, there by erasing all my data? Does the Maxtor Hardrive need cooling? They sure feel warm! Any help would be appreciated. This is my first time setting up a hard drive so go easy on the lingo. I usually plug everything in and let a friend set it up. Thanks in advance...

Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 3200 + Socket 939 CPU
Motherboard:
A8V Deluxe
Memory:
DDRAM 4x512 MG GEL
Cooling:
Freezer 64
Videocard:
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT 128MG
Soundcard/Speakers:
Kilpsch Speakers
Hard Disk(s):
2 Maxtor 300GB SATA Raid 1
Case:
MGE/CAG-H1/sl atx 450W
Comments on system #1:
Windows XP

I took the plung... the program from maxtor worked and found some problems....then repaired them. I will reinstall it tonight. This story is done..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back