Raid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks, just built my first computer...things went well, however I have created an annoyance. Each time I boot and log into xp pro I get a found new hardware pop up, SATA RAID CONTROLLER, the install program starts up but can't install it, it's a silicon image SIC 3112. Now, I have the Asus A7N8X-E deluxe using only 1 WD hdd....thought I'd get the thing going before expanding into dual drives. Now I'm pretty sure I don't need a raid controller while not running any Raid arrays...I see nothing in bios, other than disabling the unused serial port....any thoughts on how I'd get rid of this ?

How about installing the drivers for it?

You should've gotten a disk with the drivers needed to install the RAID controller along with your mobo & co.
And it (the driver) doesn't take much (if any) hdd space, so you don't have to worry about that. And since IRQ conflicts is a thing of the past, I don't really see why you don't want to install the controller.

Alternatively, you could disable the RAID controller in Windows. To do that, go into your "Device Manager", find the RAID controller (it's either under "SCSI & RAID controllers" or "Unknown Devices").

Right click on it, and select properties. From there use the pull-down menu to select "Do not use this device" (up to you if you want to disable for all or just one hardware config).

When you now restart the computer, you will no longer be prompted to install the RAID controller.
Just remember that when/if you want to use it again in the future, you'll have to enable it in the Device Manager, and then install the drivers.

You can also disable it with a jumper on the board. Look for the mention "SATA_EN1" & set it to the disabled position ( look in your manual to see the "disabled" configuration ).

That way you don't have to worry about installing drivers, just don't forget to remove that jumper once you decide to install a SATA drive.;)

Thanks for the info, each method seems as effective as the other, all easily reversable as well...this helps alot. What a difference from buying an over the counter PC to building one...I should have done this years ago......Thanks again...

Just glad to be of service :)

And yes, buidling yourself is much better than buying pre-built, not to mention cheaper too :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back