Raids Against Online Piracy Networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Per Hansson

Staff member
In the so far biggest international raid against online piracy networks 100 individuals have been identified and 200 computers have been seized in over 120 coordinated searches.

Behind the operation "Fastlink" stood the US Justice Dept., FBI and police in Belgium, Denmark, France, Israel, Netherlands, Singapore, Spain, Great Britain/Northern Ireland, Sweden, Germany and Hungary. Plus 27 US states.

Around 30 of the computers where servers used to spread warez online, and one single of those servers contained over 65 000 pirated titles. The raid was aimed against well-known groups like Fairlight, Kalisto, Echelon and Class Project X.

According to Business Software Alliance (BSA) the raid led to seizure of software estimated to be worth close to US $40 million.

Source: Aftonbladet.

I have not heard of that and Aftonbladet gives no source for their info (they are one of the largest newspapers in Sweden)

But I would assume so in that case...

According to Business Software Alliance (BSA) the raid led to seizure of software estimated to be worth close to US $40 million.
Heh, I got an email fowarded to me from my ISP from those dudes. Apparently I was sharing something I shouldn't have been (it was named in the e-mail, but I don't care to share it here).

WOW dude, does that mean you are in any kinda trouble?

I stay away from the warez, it's getting to crazy..

Guess the governments of all these countries believe that monitoring warez is more important that say terrorist. It's ridiculous. The same folks that share these warez are the same folks that wouldn't buy the stuff anyhow.

Nah, I got off with a warning, or so it seems. Here is exactly what I recieved, with "xxx"s in the place of my personal info and the file I got caught with.
Please contact this customer and have them disable sharing on their P2P
program.

Thanks,

Henry

USERNAME: xxxxxxxxx

ADDRESS:
My Address
My Street Address
City State Zip (they even got that 4 digit extention right)

PHONE: xxxxxxx

----- Original Message -----
To: <helpdesk@fidnet.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2004 5:40 PM
Subject: Case ID xxxxxxx - Notice of Claimed Infringement

Thursday, April 08, 2004

Fidelity Communication International Inc.
64 N. Clark
Sullivan, Mo 63080 US

RE: Unauthorized Distribution of the following copyrighted computer
program(s):

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dear Sir/Madam:

The Business Software Alliance (BSA) has determined that the connection
listed below, which appears to be using an Internet account under your
control, is using a eDonkey network to offer unlicensed copies of
copyrighted computer programs published by the BSA's member companies.

Site Details:
----------------------------------------------
Date Found: 7 Apr 2004 20:23:59 EDT (GMT -0400)
Network: eDonkey
IP Address: xx.xxx.xxx.xxx
IP Port: 4662
Protocol: eDonkey
UserName:

Content being offered:
----------------------------------------------
Filename: xxxxxx.zip (xx,xxxkb)

The above computer program(s) is/are being made available for copying,
through downloading, at the above location without authorization from the
copyright owner(s).

Based upon BSA's representation of the copyright owners in anti-piracy
matters, we have a good faith belief that none of the materials or
activities listed above have been authorized by the rightholders, their
agents, or the law. BSA represents that the information in this
notification is accurate and states, under penalty of perjury, that it is
authorized to act in this matter on behalf of the copyright owners listed
above.

We are giving notice of these activities pursuant to Section 512 of Title
17 of the U.S. Code (as enacted by the 'Online Copyright Infringement
Liability Limitation Act'). We expect that you will take expeditious action
to remove or disable access to the materials described above, and thereby
prevent the illegal reproduction and distribution of pirated software via
your company's network. As you know, illegal on-line activities can result
in 50 million people on the Internet accessing and downloading a copyrighted
product worldwide without authorization - a highly damaging activity for the
copyright holder.

We appreciate your cooperation in this matter. Please advise us regarding
what actions you take.

Please include the following CaseID in any response you send: Case ID
xxxxxxx.

Yours sincerely,

John R. Wolfe
Manager of Investigations
Business Software Alliance
1150 18th St NW Suite 700
Washington, DC 20036
URL: http://www.bsa.org
E-mail: copyright@bsa.org

Hm...

Must've been something "hot" and new software since BSA was sending out a letter like that...

Closest thing I've been to that was when BSA sendt a letter to my company asking about licensing procedures and if we would mind having a little visit from them to make sure we've got our licenses in order...
(Let's just say that online shopping and overnight shipping is a nice thing!)

Oh, and I do wonder what would've happened if I'd said "no" to if they could come and review our licenses. (This was in a questionare)

Originally posted by Per Hansson

And that was just what was on MY hard drive!

OMG SNGX1275!

Did you have a router even?

If you did have a router, than damn, those guys were really seriou about hunting ppl down for not purchasing their crap.

No, didn't have a router, actually I wasn't even running a firewall at the time I got snagged. So yeh its my fault, and some of you may label me 'stupid'. But I did what those dudes wanted and unshared my files, I've got plenty of goods and know other ways of getting something I need rather than P2P.
Only reason I was sharing my goods was cause I didn't know that crap got scanned and I was doing a "public service" while I was getting some other goods. In any case, my "installers" directory is unshared (all 16+ gigs) and I'm only sharing the minimal now. Actually I haven't even ran it since I got snagged, like I said I'll get my stuff other ways. P2P was just easier for the more obscure files.

I got contacted for my "zoo animals" video files being shared but not for copyright issues, instead it was because animal rights associations were complaining ( panzies !!! ). :p

It doesn't matter if you are using a firewall or router, at least not here in the states- the riaa can force the ISP to give you up although I believe there is a temporary injuction against that descision but that is why they are issuing john doe lawsuits in anticipation of that injuction being overturned.

SNGX if I would of gotten that letter, I not only would of stopped sharing the files, I would of changed my name and moved to New Zeland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back