RAM compatibility noob

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning on getting new RAM for my Dell Dimension 8250. It currently has 512 MB (2 x 256) and I am planning on either getting 2 x 512 more (to have 1.5 gigs total) or just getting 2 x 1GB to have 2 gigs total.

I am a hardware noob and what do I need to know about compatibitly? Does it need to be compatible with my mother board? How? What about with my current ram? And what would you reccommend?

The only thing I know is to trust Corsair (I don't know of any other companies to trust). Is there faster RAM and slower RAM. What should I know?

Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to Techspot!

You need to get PC1066 RDRAM (non-ECC)

Also note that your system (although you have 4 slots) will take a maximum of 1.5Gb of ram. This should be more than enough for your system, so no worries that you can't get to 2Gb.

If you get two sticks of 512mb, it should work but there are never any promises. Sometimes two different brands of ram just simply don't like to work together. Provided you get PC1066 RDRAM (non-ECC), there is a pretty high chance it will work with your old ram. If not, you'll have to run with only 1Gb, however that it more than enough ram for your CPU I'd say.

Good luck!

I was looking on newegg and I don't even see PC 1066. Should I just get all new ram? In that case would you reccommend getting 2 x 512 mb or getting 3 x 512 mb or 1GB and 1 512 mb. Also, if I get new ram what PC#### should I get and do I need to worry about 180 pin or 240 pin (isn't that the physical size of it).

Thanks for your help.

From that site it's 536 euros, which google said was about 638 dollars!!! For one gig!! That's not worth it. Is there anywhere else I could look where it would be preferably under 100 dollars?

I didn't even look at the price actually. I was simply showing you a link to the ram you want. I suppose you'll have to google around for the lowest prices.

I did google it and there isn't much available and it was very costly. It would be more worth it to build a new computer which I am thinking about doing.

Dell tends to use proprietary memory. I do not recommend getting 3rd party RAM for dell systems unless you're willing to take the chance it won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back