RAm, CPU, or Bios problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have problems with either my RAM, CPU, or my video card. Hopefully I dont have a problem with my mobo or cpu. I have a radeaon 7000 and after I installed my mobo, ram and my new cpu I started to get video problems. I get thise ugly color blaches on my screen and sometimes my computer even restarts by itself. When I send the error report to Microsoft they tell me it's becuase of my RAM. When I overclock my RAM the problem gets worse and even when I run my RAM at the proper speed I still recieve problems. Also when i run my ram at the proper speed it underclocks my 30Ghz cpu to 1.56Ghz for some odd reason. Can someone please help me out?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go Here and download and run Memtest86+. Follow the instructions and let it run for at least seven passes.

It will tell you if your RAM is ok or not.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

My PC is running Memtest86 (v3.2) just now, it has completed 29 passes, and is on the 30th. What is acceptible in terms on number of errors? I have currently got 6 errors in total, where 4 of them appear to be 2 pairs of errors. Given the number of data movements in the 30 tests, 6 errors seems insignificant - is this an incorrect assumption?

Are the details of the errors useful for resolving any issues? How can you tell if it is the physical memory that is damaged or the mother board?

I would say that any error is too many.

Coupled with the fact that Microsoft have already suggested your Ram as the culprit.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Its rgil88's Ram that microsoft are doubting. I am having this problem and was running Memtest as suggested by cpc2004.
I seem to recall reading somewhere about clashes in Ram chips with my motherboard that occur with pre-DDR400 standard DDR400 chips, but my single DIMM is post standard (Crucial). I am trying to identify if my motherboard is at fault, or if it is the Ram.

Any ideas?

The only thing I can suggest is to put your Ram in another system and run the Memtest86+ again. If it still comes up with the same errors then you will know that it`s not your mobo.

Regards and good luck Howard :grinthumb

i did the test

alright i did the mem test and i got over 2000 errors. was it becuase i was running the test while my ram was overclocked? or was it something else?

Here are my specs if you need them:
P4 3.0Ghz w/ HT
1 stick of 512 PC2700
60GB HDD
Asus P4P8X
ATI Radeaon 7000

What value do you have for the DDR Voltage for your RAM? I have often found that raising the voltage setting will often stabalize systems with problems like yours. Often by default motherboard DDRV values are set to 2.6 or 2.65V trying increasing it .5 volts at a time until you get a stable system.

I had a similar problem (random reboots) with one of my boxes and Mushkin (the RAM manufacturer in this case) suggested a minimum voltage setting of 2.7V and suggested that 2.8V would probably work even better particularly if your OC'ing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back