RAM fails Windiag Memory test, crashes Memory 86+

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbthor

Hello All,

Here's some info about my system. This was an e-Machines build with the addition of a Zoran DC10 plus, a 40 GB WD IDE harddrive, a Lite-on LTR-48327s and 512 MB Kingston Value PC 2700 RAM.

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 2083 MHz (12.5 x 167) 2800+
Motherboard Name FIC K7M-NF18G (AU31) (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce2 IGP
System Memory 960 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (08/08/03)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU (64 MB)

Memory Controller Properties:
Error Detection Method 8-bit Parity
Error Correction None
Supported Memory Interleave 1-Way
Current Memory Interleave 1-Way
Supported Memory Speeds 70ns, 60ns, 50ns
Supported Memory Types DIMM
Supported Memory Voltages 2.9V
Maximum Memory Module Size 1024 MB
Memory Slots 2

SPD Memory Modules:
DIMM1: Samsung M3 68L6423ETN-CB3 512 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz) (2.0-3-3-6 @ 133 MHz)
DIMM2: Kingston K 512 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz) (2.0-3-3-6 @ 133 MHz)

This system has never been what I would call stable. I have had to completly reinstall the Windows XP OS (kept up to date and with SP2) at least 5 or 6 times, :eek: which due to the way e-Machines configured the system discs, wipes the hard drive. I now reside the OS on the 40 GB drive and try to keep most of my data, (video, photos, music) on the 160 GB drive.

Recently I had to use the recovery console after a can't find windows\system32\config message. A system crash after that sent me to http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp . I used the test and both memory modules failed equally. I moved them around and tried both one at a time. The Samsung module seems to consistently show twice the eroors as the Kingston module. I tried the Memory86+ test and it consistently crashed at test 5. Microsoft's information suggests motherboard problems. When I generate an Everest report on the system it includes a debug-pci section. Does this mean anything?

A large part of me wants to celebrate the backend of this system, but, my pocket book does not agree. Is there a way to pinpoint whether it's the motherboard or the ram or do I ditch them both. Can I rebuild the system with a new motherboard, cpu, ram and reuse all the rest of the system?

I am attaching a few recent minidumps.

I would appreciate any advice.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your problem is almost certainly caused by faulty ram.

The fact that memtest86+ is reporting ram errors, means your ram is bad.

One of your minidumps crashes with memory corruption.

Try one new stick of ram, and test your system.

The other three minidumps crash with Windows system file errors, but this can be attributed to faulty ram.

Also, one minidump crashes at SYMEvent.SYS=Symantec Event Library.

This is a known issue on some machines/configurations.

Turning off the live updates can sometimes solve this. Otherwise try using a different security product.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back