RAM in my DFI LanParty Mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

z28spd

Currently i have 1gig(2 sticks of 512MB) of ram in my DFI LanParty nF4 SLI-DR mobo. One in the 2nd dimm slot and one in the 4th(total of 4 dimm slots) I just bought a stick of 1GB memory with the same specs but when i put it in the system, it will not boot at all. I tried every stick in every slot but cant get it to work. If i take out both old memory sticks and put the new 1gb stick in dimm slot 2 the system will boot, but i cant get both to work together? anyone have any idea? thanks! its PC3200 DDR400 ram

The problem here is that your motherboard is probably trying to run the memory in Dual-Channel mode, for this to work properly the memory needs to be symmettrical, there should be an option in the BIOS to turn off Dual-Channel mode, or if u really want the little bit of extra speed that Dual-Channel brings u need to buy another 1gig RAM stick, preferably by the same manufacturer I think.

hmm cant seem to find the option in bios? i have AwardBIOS could u point me in the right direction? when i boot up with just the new 1gb stick it says to run dual channel mode put a stick in the 2&4 dimm slots like i had before. To run single channel put a stick in dimm 2. i got it to work with the 1gb stick in dimm 2 and one of the 512mb sticks in dimm 1, but cant get the other to work.

Your problem has nothing to do with single/dual channel modes.

Go into Genie BIOS setting. In there, go to DRAM configuration. On Command Per Clock (CPC), set it to Disabled. This is the 1T (enabled) and 2T (disabled) that you might hear about when people talk about RAM settings. With 4x512 RAM, you have to go with 2T for the system to be stable and bootable. If you're able to boot and everything looks okay. I would try and enable MemTest86+ (near the bottom in Genie BIOS Setting). In MemTest, type c, 1, 5 (for test mode 5). Let it run for at least 5 times. Then c, 1, 1 (or the default test, which runs all the tests). Make sure it passes at least twice. You can go more but I assume you're on stock settings so should be fine. If you see red lines, it means something is wrong. If it keeps looping and running the test, you are in the good zone.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

nope that doesnt work either. same problem. The system will not boot at all if i have all 3 sticks in. I hit the power button it starts and stays a black screen and within 2 seconds the system just beeps and just repeats beeping cause of the error i guess. Nothing shows up on screen i cant even get to bios unless i have just 2 sticks

Wait... you have 3 sticks of RAM? If so, then yeah, it's going to be (and is in your case) nothing but headaches. When you buy another set of RAM, like another gig, it has to match the previous set exactly. I don't mean spec numbers, but if you have a 2x512MB set, the second set better be another 2x512MB same brand same model same spec for best compatibility. Sorry, guess I didn't read your first post correctly. To be honest, you are better off getting another 2x512MB or getting another stick (1gig) of RAM. And either way, the final result should be exactly the same all the way down to the actual number of sticks.

edit: And yes, I know some may tell you that it is doable with 3 sticks of RAM, but I doubt they would say so confidently with a DFI board. DFI boards are notorious for picky power supplies and RAMs.

ya i figured i might just have to get the 2 sticks of 512mb. thats wut i thought i had ordered in the first place :blackeye: ya i had a hell of a time with the power supply as well lol

z28spd said:
Currently i have 1gig(2 sticks of 512MB) of ram in my DFI LanParty nF4 SLI-DR mobo. One in the 2nd dimm slot and one in the 4th(total of 4 dimm slots) I just bought a stick of 1GB memory with the same specs but when i put it in the system, it will not boot at all. I tried every stick in every slot but cant get it to work. If i take out both old memory sticks and put the new 1gb stick in dimm slot 2 the system will boot, but i cant get both to work together? anyone have any idea? thanks! its PC3200 DDR400 ram

I Also have a DFI lanparty board and my pc wont boot with 3 dims. It looks like you have to put either 2 dims in or 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back