RAM issues..and other...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alrighty, so my very old Dell PC died, and not wanting to go back to using my laptop full-time, I decided to just go to Frys and buy a new mobo/cpu. Unfortunately, the damn thing keeps restarting, sometimes with a bsod, sometimes just freezing.

The debugs have pointed to nero (old version, uninstalled and everything worked fine for a while), daemon tools (sptd.sys driver, stopped that), and a lot of ntoskrnl.exe (don't know what that is), but mostly they come back "unknown image" or something.

Now onto the question. The last restart brought up a microsoft screen suggesting a memtest. I ran the (memtest86+) about a week ago and everything was fine. I run this microsoft one, and it comes back with failures. However, if I up the voltage on the RAM, the test runs beautifully. Any thoughts? If I up the voltage, will this be ultimately bad for the machine? Is this a failure of the RAM, mobo, maybe a software issue or something?

Specs:
The new stuff:
ECS P4M800PRO-M (V1.0A)
Intel 511, 2.7 Ghz, 533 Mhz FSB
1 GB DDR2 4200, Corsair Value Select (I think?)
MGE 400 Watt Power Supply
The old stuff:
160 GB WD EIDE HDD
TDK DVD Burner, 8x
ATI 9600 Pro, 128 MB w/ 2 monitors

Running WinXP Pro, SP2

It seems this isn't the first time I've upped the voltage. The mobo allows for 0.05 incremental increases, up to 0.35. It was on 0.20 running normally, now it won't pass the memtests below 0.30.

Help! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back