Ram Problem ? Computer Reboots on startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running XP on a Sony Vaio computer with 2 sticks of 512 ram.
No new upgrades to it but
It started shutting down and restarting about 10 days ago all of a sudden.
It gets to the windows opening screen then just shuts down and restarts..
It gave me options of start in "Safe Mode, Safe w/networking, Regular windows, and Restart with last known good configure." no matter what you choose the windows screen starts then it just shuts off and restarts.
Anyway. I thought it was a ram problem and removed 1 of my 512's as I have 2. It starts fine and runs fine. I then swapped out the 512s and both run fine by themselves. I then tried each stick in each slot seperately and they both are fine- so both slots work. But if I put them both in at the same time it starts the restart thing again.
I then bought a 1gig ram stick and stuck it in by itself. It does the restart thing again. So apparently it won't accept over 512 ram.
I spoke to Sony support and they said to restore..
so I wipped all my info and restored...and of course... same problem.. !!
I was hoping someone might have another suggestion as to what I might try ??
Thanks for possibly helping.
Dan II

Given the symptoms, I might wanna check the bios settings for your RAM.

Are you overclocking, etc.

Check the psu voltage outputs (system info and Everest Home)

Maybe wanna reset BIOS.

HEAT! Case fans and cpu fan clean and running.

Stuff like that.

gl

Thanks GL...
I am not overclocking or anything as I have had the computer for 2 years
and hadn't added anything.. it just started doing this..

I had gotten in and reset bios to default and would make sure to change it up to 1024 when I tried to put the extra ram back in where it belonged..

Is there another setting your talking about ? besides just showing the ram amount in the bios...??

The computer will run all day on 512 without prob so I don't think it
is overheating.. and the thing is clean as a whistle...

I really do appreciate the input !!!!
Thanks
DAn II

I also just bought almost the same exact computer with 2 sticks of 512 ram in it. when it arrives in the next week I hope to swap parts around to try to solve the problem more. I have spent at least 6 hours messing with this and just want to get it fixed !! ugh...
Before I restored the drive I tried updating the most recent windows updates. Holy cow..it made the thing go crazy with errors....
so then I had to wipe and start from scratch...which solved nothing..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back