Ram problems and freezing.PLEASE HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedFox911

Ok heres the deal, i have 2 gigs currently of kingston pc 4200 ram. I decided that i wanted to go with some pc 6400 ram, So i first went out and bought, a 2 gb kit of ocz Reaper pc6400 ram. I took out my other ram, poped the new ram into the same slots and turned on my pc, Problem is sometimes when i loaded windows or was in windows, My pc would just randomly freeze! Expecially when playing games. So i brought it back to the store thinking it might be defaulty.
So i Bought 2 new gigs of pc 6400 XMS2. I put those new gigs in and this time my pc wont load past the bios screen. I dont understand wtf is going on. Im now using my old ram again, and i am pretty shure my p5ne-sli supports pc 6400 and would really like to figure this out. Please give your imput !!

Specs,
Asus P5ne- sli
Core 2 quad q6600
xfx 7600gt, soon to be upgraded.
Cooler master CM stacker 832 Nvidia edition.
250 gb hdd.

PLEASE HELP

You might have to play with the bios memory timings... If you have changed them at all? If so, try loading the default memory timings

Tmagic650 said:
You might have to play with the bios memory timings... If you have changed them at all? If so, try loading the default memory timings

NOW MY PC is totally screwed up! Ok i read on this other forum where this one guy was having the same exact problem im having. I followed his steps to try to get it to work, First i updated my chipset drivers, Then i put in the new ram, then i got into bios (before it wouldnt even let me) I changed the rams timings to what it was supposed to be 4-4-4-12 ( And no it wasnt ever changed before) Then the guy also said that he changed the voltage to 2.83 even though it is supposed to be 2.1, I couldnt change it to 2.83 so i belive i changed the Memory volts to 2.53 or something like that. Then i saved the settings and restarted.
First thing i noticed was that there was no display on the monitor, So i restarted again then it got the the motherboard splash screen and froze, so i tried again and it froze again, then it would start to just keep restarting, and sometimes i can get to the stage right to where i type in my bios password but then it freezes or restarts. ?????? WHAT THE HELL!@!

I think that mabey that change in volts is making my memory overheat! so i need to change it back to auto volts, BUT MY PC WONT EVEN STAY ON LONG ENOGH for me to get into bios! WHAT CAN I DO!!!

Is there a way to somehow reset the bios settings? in the matter on 10 seconds??

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes there is a way to reset the bios... Do you have the motherboard manual. Sometimes it is good to read it. If not, there should be a CMOS Clear jumper near the "button" battery on the motherboard. Unplug the computer from the wall and move the CMOS jumper to the clear position for a few seconds. Move the jumper back to it original position.

If you can't find, or you don't understand, just take the "button" battery out for 30 seconds (with the wall plug pulled out). Put the battery back in. Plug in the computer and boot into the bios. Set the time and date, and any other settings that may need to be reset. Be careful with the voltage settings. You can fry the memory, and maybe even the board

OK THANK YOU !!
I did that and now my pc works fine, I am using my old ram.

I still need to figure out why the new ram was acting up.

Thank you though !

Glad you got it back... Be very careful with the memory timings and voltages. Just change them a little at a time. I'm sure the "new" memory will become stable after you find their "sweet spot"... Now that you know how to clear the CMOS you will be ok

Ok thanks.

What i dont understand is why you have to find the memory sweet spot when you buy new memory

Some people can learn better by doing than they can by reading... As I said before, you have a good strong system, although it seems to be a little picky about RAM.

Install the new unstable RAM. Set the memory timings as close to the new RAM specs as you can. Increase the RAM voltage one step at a time, until the system becomes stable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back