Ram Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello, im want to replace my Kingston PC3200 512MB Value Single Channel ram with Corsair XMS PRO PC4000 2x512 Dual Channel. I need to find out if the pc4000 will work with my mobo. Im trying to see if i can overclock the CPU a bit more around 240fsb.

PC Spec.

Win2k SP4
Athlon 2500+ @ 3200
Asus A7n8x-Deluxe 2.0
Kingston Value Ram PC3200 512MB
Geforce 3 TI500
Samsaug 120GB IDE

As long as it's not DDR2, there shouldn't be a problem. Your board supports Ram voltage adjustments too.

It will be quite expensive though, are you sure it is worth it ?

Rather than spend an extra $100 on another 512mb module, just buy 1 in additional to your PC3200.

There's no such thing as "dual channel memory" memory... That's something your board supports and it will work with any memory modules as long as they are compatible with eachother.

The performance gain? Not much. It's the extra memory that is going to give you the performance, not the extra bandwidth from dual-channel.

Well it will certainly help with the OCing he's intending to do (240MHz FSB) but I still think it's gonna be a hefty price premium for what it is.:p

Thx for the Info. but the current module i have now clocks out @ 205fsb, if i clock it anymore and it gets unstable. my 2500 is unlocked, ony a thermaltake smart fan 2 full speed.

If your 2500 is unlocked, why not just up the multiplier and leave the FSB alone or modestly overclocked?

It would work get it if you want. I would though but the hardcore computer guys would say get it! get it! get it! now!

I cant use 11.5/12.0/12.5 on the mutliplier, unless i bump the vcore to 1.825 and it boots but its freezes @ window load screen or winodows gives me an error. its @ 11.0 w/ 1.725 vcore @ 200 fsb and its stable.

but im also worried about (heat) @ 11.0/200fsb @1.725 vcore loaded is 50c. Im still on air cooling with artic silver 3, but i havent missed with the ram voltage yet.

Originally posted by blaze2051
but im also worried about (heat) @ 11.0/200fsb @1.725 vcore loaded is 50c. Im still on air cooling with artic silver 3, but i havent missed with the ram voltage yet.

50C is quite normal for a loaded temp of a barton. You don't have anything to worry about. Your probably fine and stable up to 56C.

Ok so if my barton stable up until 56c loaded then wut vcore should i use if i set the mutlipler to 12.0? and wut dimm volt ? kingston 512 3200 timing is @ 3-4-4-8

As long as it runs fine you shouldn't worry. Try it out and if it isn't stable then easy up some settings

Yes get the ram I have my barton 2500Xp wich is also unlocked with a vcore of 1.66 multiplier of 12.5 The only thing holding me back is the ram .....

Corsair memory rocks, if you want the tightest timings. Works well on the Asus and Abit NForce2 boards. Remember to up your chipset voltage, and set your RAM timings manually.

Low Latency memory on an NForce board should be able to do 2-2-3-10 timings (note the 10... this is a well documented tweak on any NVidia chipset).

Don't get your hopes up to high on hitting that 250 FSB... most Athlon XP cores, especially the Bartons, become unstable around the 215FSB wall. there is a tweak playing with the L12 bridges, but any bridge work on a Barton core is not for the faint of heart, or unsteady hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back