RAM Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I now have a Dell E520 with Vista (Core 2 Duo E4300) purchased after my emachine died in Jan. Bought two 1GB sticks of RAM to add to the 1GB that came with it (Vista just seems sooo slow) and can not get any combination to boot up. In the past, any RAM additions I have made were "plug & play"...Any thoughts? Couldn't find anything out of order in the Setup.

Existing RAM: 2- 512KB DDR2-533MHz-CL4
ProMOS Technologies PC2-4200U-444-10-A0

New RAM: 2- 1GB DDR2-533-CL4
AENEON PC2-4200U-444-12

Have you just tried running the 2 gigs you bought without the other gig that came with the computer?

EDIT: How many gigs does your motherboard support?

Yeah, tried one each in the same slots as the others, switched slots, switched sticks and went thru the same routine, and then put the two 512's back in rebooted to make sure it came up, shut down and tried the 2 gig in addition to the 2 512's both ways.

No Luck.

Supports 4 gig I believe, has 4 slots.

Hmm, could you give me the complete specs of your system.

download the program CPU-Z and list the specs(everything under everytab) or you can upload screenshots.

EDIT:nevermind yours does support 4Gb ram.... hmm... it could be that your ram is DOA...sadly.

Trying to upload bmp files but they are too large for this forum. Interesting program though as now I have some information I didn't earlier (mobo type, etc.)

I'll look at Memtest86+ later, I emailed tech support at Mwave.com where I bought them. Maybe they can give me a suggestion or swap sticks with me.

Thanks

Do you mean .dmp files?

If so, maybe you have them set to the wrong size. Do the following.

Right click my computer and select properties, then the advanced tab and under startup and recovery click settings. Under write debugging information, untick the overwrite existing file box and set to small memory dump(64k). Also, untick the automatically restart box. Click ok/apply/ok and reboot your system.

This thread HERE explains how to attach minidump files.

I still think you should test your ram as I outlined above.

Regards Howard :)

Papersen said:
Yeah, tried one each in the same slots as the others, switched slots, switched sticks and went thru the same routine, and then put the two 512's back in rebooted to make sure it came up, shut down and tried the 2 gig in addition to the 2 512's both ways.

No Luck.

Supports 4 gig I believe, has 4 slots.

I didnt understand if the 1GB x 2 sticks worked without the 512's, you said you tried it but not if it worked. It may also help to try each of the sticks in slot 1 individually and make sure they all work alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back