RAM question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbake24

I'm upgrading my RAM and would like to know which would make my PC faster-

2 sticks of 512 (1024) dualchannel, right?

OR

1 stick of 512mb
AND
1 stick of 1gb

How much money do you want to spend, and by the sounds of it I dont think your board will qualify for dual channel ram

dbake24, could u give us the specs of ur computer as this could make a lot of difference? not knowing anything I will say 2x1gb

Well, Intel says....

With their later chipsets, (I'm going to say 965, 'cause I have one), the asymmetric RAM configuration you describe (1 512 MB + 1 GB) would run as dual channel in what is called an interleaved configuration. That is to say the lower 1 GB of Ram would run as dual channel and the upper 512 MB (the top half of the 1 GB DIMM) would run as single channel. Consequently, there would be no speed difference until you computer required more than 1 GB of memory.

My specs- and by the looks of it its not ddr2 capable:(
CPU: CPU, Intel Celeron D340 (256MB L2 cache, 2.93GHz, 533MHz FSB)
CPU Fan Type: FAN,H/S CEL-P4 2.8 AVC Z7H700T007
HDD: HDD, 100GB 7200rpm
Memory: MEM, DDR-RAM 512MB (Max. 2GB)
ODD1: COMBO,NXGN3LC CDRW48X32X48+DVD16X 100521
Modem: MODEM, V.92 56K 56PSV-A 101198
Power Supply: PS,300 WATT 100929

IMO instead of updating your ram update your motherboard, cpu, and new ram. you can find a pretty good price for those three things depending on the use of your computer

I may have posted related questions but not this exact one.

And it sound like a lot of money to spend when you said update your mobo, cpu, and new RAM. I use my PC for gaming but I'm afraid I'll goof my computer up if I try to take the existing mobo out and the new one in.

Ok........

1st. most 2 GB maximum memory boards are Not Dual Channel.
2nd. The 300 Watt PSU would have to go. It wouldn't power ANY worthwhile graphics card.
3rd. Many games could be run with one of the faster Celerons (such as yours), provided sufficient RAM is present, AND, you have a kick-a** graphics card.
However, in no way will a system using DDR (184 pin) memory and a Cele make you the envy of every kid on your block. It is, as systems go, a dead end.
4th. And perhaps most importantly, you still haven't figured out what motherboard is in this computer, unless you have your reasons to keep it a secret. But seriously, I'm giving you a link to SIW (system information for windows) it's right here on Techspot. Run it and you will know way too much about your machine, then get back to us. https://www.techspot.com/downloads/155-siw-system-info.html

Well thanks for the info even tho its bad news for me.

Property Value
Manufacturer Intel Corporation
Model D865GVHZ
Version AAC93540-101
Serial Number BTHZ51715319

Chipset Vendor Intel Corporation
Chipset Model 82865G/PE/P, 82848P DRAM Controller / Host-Hub Interface
South Bridge 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge
SMBus Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller @D800h

CPU Intel Celeron D
Cpu Socket Socket 478 [J2E1]
Max CPU Speed 3060 MHz

System Slots 3 PCI, 1 AGP
Memory Slots 4
Maximum Memory Module Size 1024 MBytes

thats the mobo

If this is the same box.....as your other post....

The info you have provided states that you have an AGP port. Why would you be looking at a PCI card, if this is correct?

As Supersmash has pointed out this is posted in another thread. Again, if this is the same computer, you would be helping yourself more by tackling the machine as a whole, not by getting one question answered here, then another there.

The socket 478 is a dead end with respect to CPU. You might find a P4 for it, but they're just about dead as well.

No they are white slots which indicate that they are PCI, (brown=AGP, black=PCIE, white=PCI) I dont know why they put AGP because if it was then I wouldnt be asking this question because I would have a way better graphics card than PCI

Oh Dear......

I downloaded the product manual and it is as you say, only PCI add-ins. The only reason I can for the read out of the board stating anything about AGP is that probably the integrated graphics are accomplished by DIRECT AGP. Here's the Intel page should you perchance care to peruse it: http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d865gvhz/sb/CS-027146.htm
There isn't anything here about this computer that suggests that updating it is a good idea, at least not from a practical standpoint. I understand situations are different and money can be a problem, well it always seems to be. There's nothing I/we can do but permit you to make up your own mind on where to go next.

PCI slots look like this: |- ---- -| and the ones inside my PC look like |---- -| But the Graphics card contacts on my card look like this |- ---- -| Doesnt AGP look like this?: |---- -| I hope I didnt confuse anyone.

Knit 1, perl 2......

PCI (Both PCI & PCI-E) have only 1 alignment notch. The 2 sockets are identical. The PCI-E socket is usually black. It is installed in a motherboard BACKWARDS from a PCI socket. This way you can't confuse the 2 boards. Either card will go into either socket, but if it's the wrong card (either way) the monitor connections will point toward the inside of the case. An AGP socket has >2< alignment notches, configured more like this ---- ---- ---- Or if 1 notch, closer to the center of the socket. AGP sockets are slightly shorter than PCI. Please, go to Intel, search support for your board and download the manual, it has full layout diagrams.

Yeah, and AGP is also slightly further away from the edge of the mobo. I thank you guys for all your input. I think I'm gonna buy a whole brand new one. Saw a good Acer at circuit city for $400.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back