Ram Question ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the.freak

I Have Vista Ultimate 32bit ... Running on 2x512MB = 1GB Kingston Memory Modules ... I Wanna add a 1x1GB Kingston Memory Modules will it damage my system or is it OK ? Or not recommended ? ... Shall I exchange my 2x512MB Modules with 1x1GB Module ? Please if not recommended state the reason, and be as technical as possible ... I wanna learn ...

No it will not cause any damage whatsoever.

Edit: Sorry I misunderstood your query. Didn't read your post properly. Depending on your motherboard, adding a new RAM stick may degrade performance. But this will not be very noticeable. As for power issues, they're quite rare, so don't expect the worse as such. But be sure to be grounded and off the carpet when handling RAM, since even a little static electicity will fry it easily.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
No it will not cause any damage whatsoever and will free up a RAM slot in your PC so you can add more RAM later, so it's not a bad thing either.

It wouldn't damage anything but depending on the processor they're running and if their system supports dual channel memory, i believe that performs better with 2 matched banks vs. rather then one large one? Or am i recalling that correctly?>

the problem with buying ram in your situation is that the 1G module might require more voltage than the two that you have now. So your mobo might operate at the lower voltage needed for the 512 sticks, then maybe the 1gb stick might not load up correctly, or it could happen vise versa and might cause heat issues. It doesnt get catastrophic often in the end. But I've seen it happen.

Changing two 512 modules against one 1GB Module doesn't make too much sense to me. You do not get any more RAM out of this change! Even worse, the response time theoretically increases when accessing RAM as the processor can retrieve/write information from/to 2 RAM's in parallel.
Just add the 1GB module to the two existing ones. Normally your PC will run (now with 2GB of RAM), unless your BIOS expects RAM always in pairs of two modules.
It is very unlikely that this operation damages your system (but not impossible).

ok ... 10x you giuys for the quick reply .... My MOBO is an intel D865PERL is it possible to change the RAM VOLTAGE ? And How ? Step by Step Plz ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back