RAM Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halos

I apologize if this seems like a repetetive post, but I looked around and read the upgrading RAM post and I couldn't quite find the answer to my question.

I'm using DDR2 (Dual Channel) ram for the first time. My mobo has 4 slots and I only have 2 sticks of ram. Now from some things I've read I'm just unsure as to whether the two sticks of ram should be right next to each other or in the corresponding slots. I can't think of a better way to put this question so if you need clarification let me know and I will try.

edit: I'm running: XFX nForce 650i Ultra mobo, Intel Conroe E6600 2.4ghz, GeForce 8600GT, 2GB G.skill DDR2-800 (PC6400) and WD Caviar 320gb SATA HDD

Depends on the motherboard I think. Most of the time you have to put the sticks of RAM in slots with matching colors. For example if you have 2 green and 2 red slots, then you would either use the 2 green slots or the 2 red slots.

All of that should be explained in your motherboard manual, if you lost it, you should be able to download a PDF copy from the website of your motherboard vendor (XFX in your case).

Thanks for the quick response Jesse. That's what I thought was the case... At the moment though I have 1 in the black and 1 in the white, right next to each other. Now my question is does this effect performance? Because as it is, the computer is working, I'm just wondering if by having them in the different colored slots am I hampering performance?

to run dual channel memory on a dual channel board, generally the slots are color coded. RTFM to see which ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back