RAM Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

c50662

So I need to upgrade my ram, badly. I ran a scan at crucial.com and these are the results:

# Maximum Memory Capacity: 1024MB
# Currently Installed Memory: 384MB
# Available Memory Slots: 0
# Number of Banks: 2
# Dual Channel Support: No
# CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
# CPU Family: Unknow CPU Type Model 8, Stepping 1
# CPU Speed: 1503 MHz

Now my question is, can I run ECC memory?

Q: Does my computer support ECC memory?

A: No.

Your system does not support ECC. Because ECC and non-ECC modules should not be mixed within a system, install the same type of modules that are already in your system.

If I were to get 2 ECC modules, would it work? Because I'm having a hard time finding used/cheaper then crucial non-ecc since I don't have the money to purchase it new.

Check your mobo specs to see what ram is compatable. The Crucial scanner only tells you what's compatable with what's in it now(they want to sell you an upgrade).
My old system had old SDRAM but had the ability to use DDR. I replaced the 512mb SDRAM (ECC) with 2x512mb DDR (non-ECC).
FYI-old P4 mobo with 1.7ghz cpu

Is it ecc? Cause like I said in my first post, I'm having a hard time finding used/cheaper then crucial non-ecc since I don't have the money to purchase it new, so I need to know if ecc will work.

Alright, could aEnyone tell me if this would work? From what I can see it will, but would like to confirm it before I buy. Click

Thanks.

1. I don't have a manual.
2. The motherboard is older, so support on their site won't help.
Otherwise I wouldn't be asking, but I can see I'm not getting anywhere asking here, I'll go somewhere else.

c50662 said:
1. I don't have a manual.
2. The motherboard is older, so support on their site won't help.
Otherwise I wouldn't be asking, but I can see I'm not getting anywhere asking here, I'll go somewhere else.
Sorry if no one was any help to you whatsoever.
If saving $20.00 is a more important factor than gambling on an ebay seller's return policy go for it.
I hope it works for you since the $20.00 may be eaten up by rma fees if it doesn't ($3.00 per stick + shipping).

If you are interested in finding your manual on MSI's website, try here: Click here. I'm sure you could have found it if you tried with a little diligence. I found it starting with your link and I'm not that smart.

According to this manual it appears to me that the Ebay RAM is compatible.

Thanks. I did find one that should work since the other one ended. I tried looking for the manual, must of been to tired. But thanks to those who tried helping. :) This is what I've decided to get. Sorry for sounding bad so to speak, but I spent almost all of yesterday attempting to find some that would be compatible.

you can use DDR400 PC 3200 ram this is the max.
I recommend crucial, kingston, or corsair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back