RAM Speed Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, i'm not to sure about a type of RAM

OK right now, i have a weak 128 DDr-Sdram goin at 266mhz

now im plannin on gettin a 256mb ddr-sdram pc2100

what does the PC2100 mean? do you have to convert it to mhz?
If so, how?

Thanks guys

Heres a little chart for you:

DDR2100 = DDR266(MHz)
DDR2700 = DDR333(MHz)
DDR3200 = DDR400(MHz)

So DDR2100 would run at 266MHz. If your CPU/Mobo's Front Side Bus (FSB) is running at 266MHz, DDR333 RAM wont run at 333MHz. It'll 'down-grade' itsself to 266MHz so its synchronized with the FSB.

So if you dont have a 333MHz FSB CPU, no point in getting DDR2700/DDR333 RAM. A 333MHz FSB CPU would be AMD CPUs 2500+ and better.

2400+ and below use a 266MHz FSB. ;)

Hey

Hey Thanks! im gonna get the pc2100 cause im goina t 266 right now. thanks

hey and it also says its a SDRAM DIMM. what does that mean?
thanks

Wicka, before there was 333, all the boards that were made up until then, none of those support 333.

I believe the question was about adding RAM, not upgrading the entire system, in which case, yes, if he wanted to upgrade the CPU, Mobo, and RAM, getting faster RAM would be the way to go.

lol, i dunno what mobo means anyways. lol anyoone know how to overclock it? and how to setup virtual memory? thanks guys

Originally posted by jusane
lol, i dunno what mobo means anyways. lol anyoone know how to overclock it? and how to setup virtual memory? thanks guys
mobo=motherboard
What do you mean by "setup virtual memory"? If you want to know how to change the size of the pagefile, then you just open System Properties, on the Advanced Tab, look under the heading of Performance, click on Settings. In the new dialog that opens, Click Advanced, you'll see the Virtual memory settings at the bottom, just click the button to change it. The best guideline is to set max and min to 1.5x your physical memory(RAM) and adjust as needed from there.

EXAMPLE: if you have 256MB RAM, set Virtual memory to 384MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back