RAM Test Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike_Gore

I'm thinking of testing my system, and would like your advice on any software prefered.

For the RAM test, I've found Memtest86 and Windows Memory Diagnostic. I haven't used these yet. My question is could either of these software cause damage or performance drop to my laptop. Because I've read on the internet, one guy complaining that Windows Memory Diagnostic made his hard disk errors increase. And also that both Memtest86 and Windows Memory Diagnostic may turn off the microprocessor cache. If this is true how is it turned back on. Are these products for professional use only?

Do you know what other utilites I kind use and where I can find them, to test the quality, integrity and performance of my laptop?

Mike

Hi,

I have used MemTest86 and had no problem at all with it affecting my comp. I downloaded it on to a cd by burning the .ISO file. When I started my comp I was able to boot from disc and that is how I got it up and running. There are many different opinions on how long to let it run for but I personally think seven passes is sufficient. I know lots of people who have used MemTest and never have I heard them saying it caused problems but I have personally had problems with Windows Memory Diagnostic. It did increase my errors all of which were not to difficult to fix but a pain in the rear none the less. I hope this helps and maybe even answers your question.

The worst thing that could happen is your laptop overheating but that's really a worse case scenario. The reason that might happen is that when memtest is loaded there is no CPU throttling system running so your CPU will be at full speed all the time which should likely make the fans spin at full speed constantly.

If you're not confident in your laptop's cooling abilities, you might want to be in its vicinity while testing the memory.

no I can attest I have ran memtest OVERNIGHT on my computers with no issues. Unless you have some sort of heat issues then you will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back