RAM underclock after random restart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! My computer had a random restart and it seems to have underclocked my ram from 400mhz to 333mhz. Is this possible and is there a way to fix it?

Please provide some more system specs, this will help with the help:p

Good luck,

Regards,

Korrupt

Motherboard is a socket 754 from Chaintech
Ram is kingston 512x2
video card x850pe

just tell me what you need and i will give it to you.

What model Chaintech motherboard? There're a lot of them.
What type and speed of RAM? You only provided size.
Brand, wattage and (if possible) amps on +12V rail power supply.

Where was this RAM speed reported? In BIOS? From a utility program?

I might be way off base since we have insufficient information but as pure speculation what I'm trying to find out if you might have mistakenly overclocked your RAM to the point where it was unstable and your system shut down. For example, if you have DDR 400 (PC 3200) your BIOS or utility program such as CPU-Z should report the RAM speed as 200MHz instead of 400MHz because DDR is double data rate. Double is the key word here. So if the BIOS is reporting 333MHz, it is still overclocked to 666MHz. But as I said, I could be all wrong once we get enough info.

You didn't completely answer the power supply question. This random restart only happened that one time?

I went swimming came back and computer was off. That usually happens after a power surge/bad electricity and thats what happened.

Hi Applo,
Sounds common as the CMOS/BIOS settings probably got reset during the power spike/outtage.

Are you familiar with how to enter the BIOS setup? It's usually performed by pressing DEL or F1 during the PC's post tests, right before booting into windows.

In the BIOS, it's likely defaulted back to 333mhz memory clock.. and who knows what else got reset incorrectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back