Status
Not open for further replies.

rross48

OK im thinking of updating my RAM.

PC specs:
2.79GHZ CPU
768MB (256MB + 512MB sticks) RAM
RADEON 9250, 128MB, AGP - video card

I was just wondering. Do i need to make sure the RAM is the same speed as the other stick i have in now, EG. 260MHZ stick in now, means i need another 260MHZ stick ???

Also i have 2 memory sticks in at the moment. But my computer says -"Windows virtual memory Low". even tho i havnt used much memory. What can i do to change or fix this?

Another problem is that my computer is randomly pausing and locking up for about 10 seconds at a time... it doesnt ahppen often, prob bout every 2 hours, then continues normally. What could b causing this?

Any replies would b appreatialted thanx!

What kind of crap are you running? 768 seems like plenty to me - you sure it's not a software issue?

Virtual memory is the page file on the hard disk that the system uses when there is not enough RAM. You should increase the page file size. Right click on My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced Tab -> Performance Settings -> Advanced Tab -> Under pagefile click Change, and from the menu that comes up you can adjust the size. Make it about 1.5 times your RAM. So you should have 1152MB of page file. If you have less, increase it to this amount, and if you have that much, bring it up to 2048MB.

This may also be an un-RAM related problem. ie: virus, file sharing software ;), random stuff that runs at startup...

Try looking at MSCONFIG's startup list and see whats running.

I know how to control programs and processes on my computer. Ive checked the startup and Run in regedit and they r fine. Ive also checked the process list in taskmanager and all the programs r fine and not using too much memory.
Paging file seems right so im gonna try that->

Ok ive set my Paging file or whateva to:
Starting size - 768
Maximum size - 1200
is this good or should it b more?

not really necessary to mess with paging files. Leave it for auto.
However, if you want to move the location of the paging file to another partition, thats a good idea. It will help with primary partition from getting fragmented. This coupled with moving temporary internet files is also good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back