RAM utility

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few hacks to the registry can help a lot too, many depending on your OS. Most involve the swapfile and window's natural overuseage, but there are some out there that I've found that help. If I ever find my old bookmarks, I'll throw them out at ya.

I find these programs quite useless.

Much like communism, it's good on paper.. Just not in practical application.

I used to use Memturbo when running Win ME. After switching to Win2K and setting an appropriate size for the swap file, no problems thereafter, so I ended up uninstalling Memturbo.

In other words, for better memory management, less ram leaks, go with the more stable OS.

Originally posted by Rick
I find these programs quite useless.

Same here Rick. There are a few things you can do in the registry to force Windows to manage memory better. Some of these apps make those changes, but for the most part they are quite useless

Those app's just take up space on your taskbar and memory while running. I've never once used one of these programs that managed memory better than Windows was already doing.

using RAM Idle for 2 years now and very glad of this little app

the performance increase was more noticeable in win98SE than 2K though

Windows just doesn't really scale very well, I don't think. And its heavy useage of the swap file when you have fairly large amounts of RAM is very poor. Linux only uses the swap partition when you have completely ran out of physical RAM, as far as I can see.

Yeah, but who really uses the swap file anymore? I've got a couple games that refer to it so I keep it around 100mb, but that's it.

I really can't complain about the way Win2K handles memory. Those memory utilities were great with DOS and Windows 3.11, and I can even see some need with Win95/98, but nowadays I think they just don't offer that much as far as performance boosting.

Memory is there to be used :giddy:

In Win98/ME, you can set the OS to use as much as physical memory as possible before swapping by adding

conservativeswapfileusage=1

to system.ini [386Enh] section.

Originally posted by StormBringer
Originally posted by Rick I find these programs quite useless.
Same here Rick. There are a few things you can do in the registry to force Windows to manage memory better. Some of these apps make those changes, but for the most part they are quite useless

I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back