RAm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Peeps,
I am not new to this forum but somehow forgot my username and passwords so I am using this new one. I have a question. I have a comp that has two memory slot that is capable of running up to 512mb of RAM. i had 128mb in there and just bought 256mb to add to it. When i turn on my comp i see the speed difference but when i check out my system info, i see that only 256mb out of the supposingly 384mb of total ram are being use. i tried restarting and starting in diagnostic mode but it detect no error. It is a PC100/133 SDRRAM. Please help.

Swap the 2 pieces around, i.e. 256MB in slot 1, 128MB in slot 2.

Using different speed memory always reverts to the speed of the slowest one, and occasionally causes one or the other not to work, or worst case, both together won't work.

Take the 128MB out and see if it works better.
Does your mobo recognize 384MB at startup (on the boot-screen)?

No, the system does not recognize 384 at the startup or on my bio screen. i try switching them around and using only the 256mb one but it does not work. the speed of both RAM are the same though. PC133mhz.

Looks like your 256MB is a dud, buy it on Ebay?

Go to www.memtest86.com and D/L and memtest86. It will be installed on a bootable floppy.
Run this (overnight is best, but shorter will do as well) on each of the memory-sticks and let us know the results.

You could try to clean the memory-stick contacts with an eraser. Make sure you blow the eraser-remnants away (not IN your computer) before you put them back in.

Some old motherboards only support 256mb ram modules if the modules are double sided. When the module is double sided, the memory chips have less density, for example it could consist of 8 chips of 32mb or 16 chips of 16mb (the latter being the one you need).

In any case, it would certainly help if you would take the time to fill in your system specs in your user profile.

One thing to try to remember also is to buy branded memory, and try to keep your upgrades the same brand as the current. Sometimes they don't like being put together if they are different brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back