Random BSODs, minidumps attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only installed a TV capture card (Aver DVD EZMaker Gold PCI) recently; other than that, the only suspicious driver is the one for my soundcard - Genius Soundmaker 5.1 Value (CMI8738/C3DX as Device Manager calls it).

Minidump archive are attached.

EDIT: Just happened again: freshest minidump attached separately.

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    95.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Mini101605-01.zip
    17 KB · Views: 6
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I can`t seem to download your file.

Zip 5, or 6 minidumps up, and post them here as an attachment.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Some of your minidumps crash at cap7134.sys.

This is a driver for TV capture cards etc.

See HERE for further information.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the software for the device, also check with the manufacturers website for updated drivers, or patches.

If that doesn`t work. Try uninstalling the product altogether, including the hardware.

Regards Howard :)

I've removed the card; since then, the PC has crashed at least one more time (the separate dump file).

What do other dump files point to as a possible reason? Is there any evidence pointing to the sound card? I suspect it a little, but I wouldn't want to remove it since I'm using some of its features.

Your mindumps crash with the following errors.
Mindump dated 16/0/05 crashes at tcpip.sys. This is the Windows network driver.

Minidump dated 15/10/05 crashes with pool_corrruption. This is usually caused by third part software drivers.

Minidump dated 15/10/05 crashes at Cap7134.sys. Your TV capture card.

Minidump dated 14/10/05 crashes at Cap7134.sys. Same as above.

Minidump dated 14/10/05 crashes with pool_corruption. As above.

Minidump dated 13/10/05 crashes at ati3duag.dll. ATI DirectX Universal Driver.

Minidump dated 12/10/05 crashes at ntkrnlmp.exe. This is a Windows os kernel driver.

Minidump dated 10/10/05 crashes at ipnat.sys. This is the Windows IP Network Address Translator.

No BSOD`s for the last 6 days?

Minidump dated 4/10/05 crashes at cmaudio.sys. This is your sound driver.

Minidump dated 4/10/05 crashes at cmaudio.sys. As above.

Minidump dated 4/10/05 crashes at cmaudio.sys. As above.

Minidump dated 3/10/05 crashes at USBPORT.SYS. This is the Windows USB 1.1 & 2.0 Port Driver.

Minidump dated 30/9/05 crashes at win32k.sys. This is the Windows Multi-User Win32 Driver.

Most of your BSOD`s seem to be caused by software errors.

The fact that you are getting such a varied amount of bsod`s, could mean you have a ram problem.

Go HERE and follow the instructions to see if you do have a ram problem.

Make sure all your drivers are updated, and that you have all the upto date Windows patches.

Regards Howard :)

Hi Gmarklar,

I have the TV capture card with older driver cap256.sys which I believe that they are developed from the software vendor. My XP crashes randomly when I do TV recording and this is the reason why I start to learn windows debugging.

After I analyze all the full memory dumps and I find out that the TV recording device driver overlays the windows storage and my XP crashes with different bugcheck code. If I don't do TV recording, windows functions perfectly. Unfortunately my TV device driver is the latest version and I cannot upgrade it. I have to keep the captue card because it can capture protected video and my new capture card cannot capture protected video.

I believe that most of your BSOD are related to device driver cap7134. Base on my experience, whenever the TV capture is activated and the memory maybe corrupted but 90% of TV capture does not crash windows. Usually when I start TV recording, I do not touch that PC and I use another PC.

For problem isolation, don't use the TV capture. If your PC still crashes, your PC have another culprit such as faulty ram or device driver. Attach the dump here and Howard will help you.

Thanks.

Thanks to both of you. I've removed the TV capture card and have only had a single crash since then (a day or so).

I have another PC -- the TV capture card only manages to freeze the capture program and does not cause a BSOD.

I'll see whether the PC remains stable for the remainder of this week; if it does, I'll just try and find another solution to my TV captures. If it doesn't, then I'll replace the RAM and work onwards from there.

Anyway, thanks a lot.

P.S. - Do you have any good debugging resources (guides, tutorials) for someone who is versed in C/C++/ASM programming (not on Windows, though)? I can read Russian, English and Hebrew fluently and shouldn't really have trouble understanding the technical side (did enough gdb work, meh).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back