Random BSOD's on P5N32-E SLI PLUS - looking for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I updated my computer by buying few new components. Basically I replaced everything except case. You can see existing configuration in my profile. The problem is I'm getting random BSOD errors during specific kind of system loads.

I can play games for hours without any blue errors, graphics artifacts or hangs. 3DMark can stress my computer for whole day without single problem. Memtest is passing easily for 24 hours without any errors as well. But the problem occurs whenever I try to decompress huge files with WinRAR. Thought that this software is a problem but trying other extractors (WinZIP, 7ZIP) causes the same blue errors: 0xD1, 0x0A, 0x05, 0x8E and few others.

I started testing and checking my system. I tried many things:
first I replaced RAM -> no change,
replaced old harddrives with new and reinstalled system -> no change,
playing with single RAM modules in different slots -> no change,
playing with different graphic and mobo drivers -> no change,
checked harddrives for errors -> no errors on harddrives,
bios updated to newest version (rev. 0805) by manufacturer.

During tests I found that errors appear not only during decompression. When I download stuff with FlashGet it can make BSOD after certain amount of time.
I replaced Download manager -> no change, still shows blue errors when I leave computer with simple "download stuff" task only. I have 6Mbit/s connection and connecting by Netgear USB dongle to router. Thought that this is a problem. Unfortunately no. I connected to a different ISP (1Mbit/s) by LAN cable to its router. BSOD's still appear when I leave computer with downloading. Sometimes after few hours, sometimes very soon, sometimes after few days... just randomly. But definitively BSOD's still appear when I push computer to decompress stuff.

I moved my focus to changing BIOS settings. System from the beginning was running at everything set to [AUTO]. Quick look before changing settings gave me those results:
RAM timings: 5-5-5-15 at 667 MHz in DualChannel mode.
NB voltage: 1.2V
RAM voltage: 1.8V

On this forum I found that underclocking RAM and increasing RAM and NB voltage can increase system stability. So first I started from timings.
5-6-6-6-18 -> no change in stability, still have those BSOD's.
here I remaind that as a stability benchmark I use 6.5GB packed DVD image decompression with WinRAR.
Increased RAM voltage to 2.0V -> slight change, looks more stable but this can be only my subjective opinion. Computer still can crash during decompression.
After that I started to increase NB voltage slightly by 0.05V and made WinRAR tests everytime. After reaching 1.35V I was able to decompress this huge RAR package couple of times. But afterwards crashes still appeared when I tried do decompress it more times...
Seems I'm at the point where I can solve my problem with stability by increasing voltages. But the true is I'm not sure how far I can go with it? What is the limitation for those voltages? Let's say I have limited budget for fried components and don't want go to far.
My other question is: are there any other settings in BIOS which can increase my system stability?
Thanks in advance for any answer which will make my life easier.

Have you installed any of the ASUS software that came with the motherboard or video card? Zip up half a dozen minidumps files and attach here, look in c:\windows\minidump.

No. I always try to keep my system clean as much as it possible. I don't install any software if I'm not sure I really need it. The only additional thing which is installed from ASUS is OSD Gamer. It installed itself with drivers but anyway it's useful. But I think this doesn't cause any problems.
I analyzed my minidumps. All of them are different from each other and really random. That's why I suspect problem with RAM. But I don't have such experience in debugging and my suspicions don't have to be accurate.
For reference I attached last 5 minidumps. Hope this will throw more light on my case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back