Random computer crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeUK

Hey there. For a few months i've been having problems playing games. My computer will suddenly lock up in game, but i'm still able to talk and listen on ventrilo / teamspeak for several seconds. This will be proceeded with the system restarting suddenly. I had the same problem, but it was slightly different when it first started happening. I'd be able to talk / hear for several seconds, and then the last block of sound would rapidly loop. I then needed to manually hit the restart button on my PC.

Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ ~2.4ghz
Windows XP
Nvidia 7600GS graphics card
2GB ram

The crash is occuring in DirectX 9 games. I've tried updating direct x, but that hasn't sorted the problem. It happens in both Battlefield 2, and counter-strike: Source. I've not tried any other games, apart from Guild Wars and World of Warcraft, which doesn't seem to crash my computer.

Sometimes it will crash several times. Other times it won't crash at all. It happens 2 times a day on average.

All help apprieciated.
Lee.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go and read this thread HERE and see if it helps you to identify the culprit.

If it doesn`t, attach 5 or 6 of your latest minidumps to your next reply.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks for the reply.

After viewing the event manager, i appear to be getting the error:

The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block.

Could this have anything to do with this?

Also, if i remember correctly, when my computer is crashing, i hear a funny fan noise. My PSU's fan turns on when it needs to, and i'm wondering if this noise is anything to do with this.

Regards, Lee.

I don`t think the cd-rom bad block would be the cause of your crashes, but you never know.

The noises emanating from the psu fan may well be an indication of an impending failure.

If the troubleshooting steps don`t help, then post the requested minidumps.

Regards Howard :)

2 minidumps crash at you Nvidia graphics card drivers nv4_disp.dll.

1 minidump crashes at ntkrnlpa.exe. This is a Windows OS file and is probably not the actual culprit.

Try uninstalling you graphics card divers and installing a different version.

It seems that updating the drivers hasn't solved the problem. I updated them a while a go, and problem has still persisted.

There are no newer version as far as i'm aware.

Everything seems to be in order there.

The only suggestions I have for you at this stage is to try an older graphics driver. If that doesn`t help, open the side panel of your case and aim a deskfan at your graphics card. See if that reduces the crashes.

Please post any further minidumps you have.

Could having my case in a confined space have anything to do with this? My case in under my desk, and there isnt much airflow down there (As the computer is on a 45 degree slant, with the fan pointing into the corner).

Lee.

Taking off the side panel and aiming a deskfan into the case, will prove one way or the other if it`s an overheating problem.

Well, i used to have the same problem but i then had my graphics driver updated and also i added another 2GB or RAM to my PC and then it worked fine, the only problem i have now is with PunkBuster which is really annoying

Two crash at your video card drivers and one with ntkrnlpa.exe. All have a bugcheck of 8E.

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

I still think it`s a driver issue with your video card, but it might be an idea to check if there`s a bios update available for your system.

I've noticed that from time to time, asus probe will tell me that one of the fans of stopped, and my MB temperature is way over 120 oC.

Any ideas?

If that mobo temp is correct, not only is something seriously wrong, but I don`t see how it could function at all.

Check your temps in bios and see what is says.

Restarting my computer fixes the fan problem. My computer still functions fine when this reading happens. Could it be incorrect?

I don't know how my mobo could get that hot from one fan stopping =\

I can`t see your mobo being that hot. If it were, it would have stopped working altogether.

In other words the temp reading must be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back