Random computer pausing

Status
Not open for further replies.

rross48

Hi

OK.. my problem is that my computer is randomly pausing and locking up for about 10 seconds at a time... it doesnt happen often, prob bout every 2 hours, then continues normally. What could b causing this?

Could it b a program?
Hardware?

Thanx in advance

Inadequate memory, too many antivirus or antispyware programs installed, defective or failing CD-ROM or DVD, corrupted software, spyware or virus... Just about any hardware problem, dirty or failing CPU fan, lint and pet hair in cooling channels... or any software that is out contacting the home site.
Disconnect the computer from the internet to see if that changes anything.
If using Windows XP, go to Start ->Control Panel -> Administrative Services-> Computer Management -> Event Viewer to see if any red or yellow flags are posted which are relevant tot he times you had problems. Click on those items, and they will tell you what error was a problem at the time.

rross48,

This pausing could be caused by a scanning program like an antivirus program. What spyware, malware or antivirus program do you use?

OK heres the thing. This is my OTHER computer which is not connected 2 the internet. It has no antivirus on it, and no anti spyware.

I have been having problems with a hard drive i installed recently. Its only 10GB but i ran out of space on my 80GB and i needed it until i could get a bigger hard drive. It has been stuffing up on me and making the screen go crazy! with random pixels everywhere!

Any ideah what thios problem is... i think they might be connected.

PS i didnt format the hard drive after i got it from a friend and its installed as a slave!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back