Random Freezing, BSOD, Page Faults, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

protege26

Hi all. Posted a few months back, have changed a few things but am still having trouble. Today I cleaned out my case, reseated my memory, defragged all my drives, and reset my page file, so I am here to try again.

My problems are many. Roughly twice a week the computer just freezes. Nothing responds. It has happened while surfing sites with scripts and without, while reading email in Eudora, while watching videos, while viewing pictures. No one thing is occuring in all instances. It can only be solved by reseting the computer.

My other problems are BSOD with page faults or stop errors. They occur roughly 4-5 times a week. (actually happened 4 times this morning alone). They occur over random things as well and usually involve a C21 stop error or page fault for kmixer.sys or win32k.sys.

Below are my system specs as well as a zip file with my past 5 mini dumps. If any more info is needed, just ask! I hope someone can help me!

Thanks in advance!
K.R.

Operating System: Windows XP Professional SP2
Motherboard: MachSpeed (JetWay) N2PAP-Lite nVidia Socket A
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2400
Video Card: Diablotek nVidia G-Force FX5500 256MB
Amount of RAM: 768MB - Nanya 256MB PC2100 & Ultra 512MB PC3200
Hard Drives: Wester Digital 40GB & Seagate 10GB
Other Drives: Lacie 40GB Firewire
Internet Connection: Onboard networking to hub then to DSL modem.
Changes: Have not made any changes that can be traced back to problem except going to SP2, which was done during a clean install. All drivers are up to date as far as I can tell.

Attachments

• Minidump1.zip
    92.1 KB · Views: 6
I can see your problem, its mismatched ram. You should never ever mix different speeds of ram, pull the 256meg out and see if that makes an improvement!!!!

rik said:
I can see your problem, its mismatched ram. You should never ever mix different speeds of ram, pull the 256meg out and see if that makes an improvement!!!!

That could be it. But I always thought that the faster speed RAM just slowed to match the lower speed and that was it? Was I wrong in that assumption?

Well thats what is supposed to happen in thoery, but in practice mixing different speeds of ram usually causes random instabilities of all kinds. I have seen it may many times here on techspot!!!!!!!

Ok. I will try that and see. I do have a question though. What settings should I have in my BIOS in relation to the memory size and speed? Same question for my video card.

Thanks!
K.R.

Ok. Well, I cleaned out my pc like crazy, hooked everything back up, and had no problems. No BSODs. This was for two days. I put the cover back on (tower has a side panel that comes off and I never put it back on) and within 10 minutes I had two BSs. So, I am thinking it is an overheating issue.

So how do I tell what the culprit is? I have downloaded SpeedFan, but it only has listed Temp 1-3, no descriptions. I'm attaching pics with the case open, and case closed after 1 hour.

Any and all info will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
K.R.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back