"Random" freezing, new ASUS MB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a new ASUS motherboard, the A7V880, and have had problems with everything freezing up (requiring a reboot) since then. I also put a new XFX 6600GT on it. I have a Athlon XP 3000+ processor with a 400W power supply, and the ASUS Probe I have says that all of the temperatures are fine (usually below 50C). I have tried multiple video drivers (finally sticking with the newest ones that work; the absolute newest ones had some visual problems), installed the newest BIOS files, switched the sound card out for onboard sound and back, and tested the memory, and everything still acts the same. The problem itself, as I mentioned, is almost random freezing. I say almost because in Windows it's fairly random, anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours between freezups (usually a few hours). In most games, it's the same. However, in World of Warcraft, it usually freezes up in less than 10 minutes. Also, the system freezes up almost any time I quit a game, and often when I Ctrl-Esc. Any ideas? After I post this, I will be switching mice to see if that's it, and then changing video cards to my old one... If neither of these work, I'm starting to run out of ideas...

More

A couple more comments...
My BIOS, and because of that Windows, now sees the processor as a 2800+ instead of a 3000+, maybe since the BIOS upgrade?
Also, I started World of Warcraft, and hit Ctrl-Esc right away, and after 2-4 minutes my system froze up (as opposed the the 5-10 seconds it takes if I've already been playing for 5+ minutes when I hit Ctrl-Esc). In this case I was just at the menu screen, and hadn't even loaded the game...

Well, I switched video cards, and so far it has not had a problem with the old one (ATI Radeon 9550) in... now I just have to figure out if there's a way to make the new one work, or if it's faulty and I should just send it back for another while it's under warranty; I may post in the video card forums to see if anyone has any ideas there on what to do, too...

Well, if anybody's still watching this post, it may still be a motherboard problem... I haven't had as many freezes with the Radeon 9550, but it still freezes up from time to time (maybe 1/4 as much, roughly?). This leads me to believe that it's a motherboard/software/bios problem, since the problem was different with both video cards, but still there... Is there anything I can try yet to fix it (I'm open to ideas, they don't have to fix it for sure, I just want something different to try...) or should I RMA the motherboard, and get the same one sent back to me, or what? I have not run Memtest for a long period of time, I plan to do that tonight.

Temperatures may be fine, but what about voltages? If the voltage regulator can't supply consistent voltage to the mainboard components, seemingly random freezing may occur. It should stay within about 5% margin of set values.

Note that I'm talking about mainboard voltages, ie. what goes to the CPU(s), memory, chipset, and PCI/AGP cards, not the usual 5V & 12V lines.

woops my bad amd does not use hyperthreading
could be the board supports overheat protection
I have heard this can be glichty.
other than that sounds like memory heat problems

Mictlantecuhtli said:
Note that I'm talking about mainboard voltages, ie. what goes to the CPU(s), memory, chipset, and PCI/AGP cards, not the usual 5V & 12V lines.

My motherboard monitor (ASUSprobe) can see the 5V and 12V lines, but how do I monitor the other voltages? Also, if that's the problem, what do I have to do to fix it? The voltages I can see are as follows:
12V = 12.352 (with some variation)
5V = 4.999 (little variation)
3.3V = 3.312 (little variation)
Vcore = 1.712 (little variation)

I ran memtest all night, and there were no problems.

Last night, starting with one of the less frequent freezups with my old vid card in, I suddenly started freezing up every 2 minutes or while playing World of Warcraft. Windows now seems completely stable, when I'm not running WoW. I want to test WoW again today, to see if it continues to do that, and also test other graphics-intense games to see if it's just a WoW problem, or if it happens in any game...

The board supports overheat protection; is there anything I can do to pursue the possibility of problems in this area?

As far as heat goes, my processor is running about 40C, and my MB about 33C at the moment, a little higher when I'm running games, but haven't seen it over 50C yet.

how about ,can you try running the voltage check at same time playing a game
see if voltages drop. may need larger PSU
after that I check you video profile something in settings.
I am sure the manual will tell you how to disable overheat protection
keep the case open and try running the cpu and vid up see if it still freeze's
PS
some video games downloaded from P2P or torrent come with time bombs.

All of the voltages stay the same when gaming except the 12V one, which varies from 12.352-12.544 When I was testing this, I did notice that the video card (the new one, once again) temperature reached 62C while playing games. Is this still within reason, or could this cause problems? The overheat protection seems to be a permanent feature, at least there is nothing in the manual even discussing the possibility of removing it. As far as P2P and torrent games, I currently don't have any on my computer, I only have World of Warcraft, America's Army, and Monopoly Tycoon installed since the reformat. The case has been open since I've started having problems, since I've been taking stuff in and out so much.

yep

i have asus P5AD2-E Premium 1gb ram and P5AD2-E Premium XFX 6600GT
and 520w PSU and when play battlefield 1942 my computer freeze (RANDOM) and restart with button and when restart asus bios say " overcloking failed "
never i overclok my computer. i think is the asus o the video card i dont know.ok bye
sorry my poor english

Well, it appears I finally found the problem... The motherboard has an auto setting for the zcore voltage. I believe this was automatically set to 1.65v (although it usually read 1.71 in the ASUS Probe) I found that the computer froze when ripping music back onto my hard drive (after reformatting) when my vid card would be getting very low usage (if any), but my processor was running at 100%. I figured it had to be something with the processor then, so I went to the BIOS, set it to 1.7 instead of auto (1.65) and I really haven't had a problem since then.

Thx

Thank you for this forum thread, i have the same board, A7V880 but processor 3200+, 1GB 400Mhz RAM, Ati Radeon X800 GTO, and it was freezing just as you say, i have set up the Vcore Voltage to 1.70 and it was better, but sometimes freeze, now i set it up to 1,75 and it looks like no problem, so i just wanted to say, Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back