Random Problem with OS remembering what it has...(Program files)

Status
Not open for further replies.

m4dxdpd

I don't have a clue why this happens, but from time to time my OS just goes nuts and forgets what it has, or what it's supposed to do...
Mind you, I'm an experianced user, and have looked into fixing this more than once and haven't a clue why it does this...
Example: I boot up to find that there is a duplicate of "everything" All my files are now doubled, so now I have two of everything on my computer now where before was one... :suspiciou
Example2: I start my computer to find 1/2 of my startup programs are now missing their shortcuts... (Start menu)

I have 4 of the best Spyware programs that I run every other day(sometimes everyday), A top notch Firewall, that I "never take down", and one of the best Antivirus program on the market today, (once a week fullscan),HD scan for bad sectors, Registry Mechanic 4 for bad values, which I run every other day, I back up my registry every otherday,once a week total cleanup of junkfiles, and total "smart placement" Defragmentation .....I think you get the idea, that regular Maintenace on my computer is done all the time to prevent such occurrences from happening to begin with...And no, my computer hasn't slowed down at all or anything like that...
Summary is..I've ran full virus scan...nothing.
I've run full spyware scans... nothing.
I've totally clean my registery and deleted all bad values.
I've check the HD for bad sectors...nothing.
I've "closely" look at the software programs for conflicts...nothing...

Anybody got any Ideas what would cause the change, and loss of data?

Leprechauns, Gremlins, little green men from Mars, to name but a few....

Do you have physically 2 files or do you see double files (you ARE sober, aren't you?) on e.g. your desktop?
If the latter, try and update the drivers for your graphics card.
If the first, perhaps you have a hidden partition on your Harddisk, which is no longer hidden (such as HP/Compaq/Dell restore partitions), and its files show up. Check their path-names.

Random Problems reviewed...

Too Funny Real Blackstuff...LOL...No...I'm not drunk...(as a matter of a fact, I haven't had a drink in over 6 months)

Ok, now with that out of the way, to clarify my problem…This will be in the same “main directory folder” for the same program.
Example: Registry Mechanic 4, and Registry Mechanic 4(2).
This was also duplicated on the desktop, as well as all my startup programs.
Needless to say it was a mess.
The other problem as I mentioned was, (and this has happened more than once) is that no less than ½ of my startup programs menus will just be gone the next time I reboot and go to used them and I have to browse back to their origin to reestablish their links….
As for my Graphics drivers, I “always” keep them up to date because I’m a clan member in a Return to Castle Wolfenstein gaming team, so I’ve always got the latest… :approve:
Question, would “Systems Tweaks” play a part in this?
I am one to dabble in such things and am always looking to get as much out of my system as it can provide…

I would say there is a very high-octane chance that your messing with the registry has it's influence on this erratic behaviour.

#1 suspect is that program Registry Mechanic.
I had that on my PC to try out, and it made a balls-up of it. I run Windows 2000, and have 2 instances of it, on the C-drive and on the F-drive. Running the program from within the F-W2K, it modified not only F, but C as well. Stupid git!
As I always take a (Drive-)Image before trying something, so this was no problem, just started the image restore and I was back up and running within 10 minutes.

Not knowing WHAT you have tweaked makes it difficult, if not impossible to even think of giving advice.
If you can, roll back to before RM, otherwise hope for someone else, or (oh horror) re-install.

That's the funny part...I (ohthe horror) just re-install my whole OS just last week...LOL... (3rd time in the last 3 months) hehehehehe... :rolleyes:

I do a Systems Restore, and Registry backup now before I install any new program just to see what it does first...that way I can roll back the changes if nessary.
As I said...there's no problem with my computer's speed----->>>>>> that's still very fast! (I don't like slow...)
But, you're probably right on the registry...(I'm not afraid to go in and make changes) and yes sometimes it's "oops, I guess I shouldn't have done that"!!!! LOL
I really got the feeling its my HD though...
My computer has a hard time with its "memory" which in most cases for me in the passed have been HD related...
As far as the "Tweaks" are concerned...too many to list here...
I have a Programming buddy (lives in Nottingham) that says my problem is the Windows OS...LOL...

Oh, btw Realblackstuff...I've read in several posts that you don't recomend installing XP SP2, is that correct? Because I've done everthing I can to avoid doing just that..It created nothing but headaces for me when I installed it...I couldn't get it out of my computer fast enough!!!(one of my Reformatting projects!) LOL

Anyways, just thought I'd throw this out there to see if it was an obvious problem I was over looking...guess not...Thanks anyways!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back