Random reboots - ntfs.sys or memory???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have several Windows 2k workstations that are experiencing random reboots. Most don't leave any tracks in the event viewer. Is there any diagnostic utility that can help narrow down what my problem might be? Also, at least one of the machines left me a minidump, which I have attached the results of. Please help!

Thank you,

Jason

Attachments

• minidump.txt
    3.4 KB · Views: 9
run memtest86 overnight on the failing terminals.

random reboots usually are hardware issues like memory or device drivers.

Since we are talking about a number of Workstations I would doubt that you would get so many Hardware failures in the same group.Electronic components are pretty reliable (I take for granted they are near the same age and similar parts).If we are talking around 2-3 years though, a major cleaning (Inside the Boxes) may be in order, unless this maintenance is an ongoing program.
I would also imagine that you have the same or similar Software loaded on each unit, so I would lean towards Driver/software issues.

There is System File Checker to confirm stable system files.
Dr watson is also good for troubleshooting you should install the Symbols(I think on the Windows CD \Support\Debug\i386; Check Microsoft on how to use) so the Crash dump files give you more specific info.
WWW.sysinternals.com is an excellent site for free troubleshooting software especially if you have some Dos/Batch writing experience .Otherwise their programs are pricey.
Good luck and Let us know.

could be a variety of different stuff.. memory, drivers, networking issues.....

I always start with memory when troubleshooting

Thank you guys. I've run the memtest for hours (regular and extended), but never overnight. Great suggestion, and I will definately run it overnight on several terminals. I also question wheather it is hardware or software. We build these terminals using an image, which means identical software and drivers, but the problem is not 100% ( at this time, more like 5%) so perhaps a driver may simply become corrupted at some time, or perhaps some terminals have a slightly different hardware config (different brand of memory for example). Either way, I have my work cut out for me. Is there some type of utility that could help me out here, test performance of memory, cpu, etc, mabey even monitory cpu temp - that type of thing? I'm ok with buying a product like this, if it can help me narrow down my search for problems....

Jason

Take your time and read at the site I mentioned above, also Sisoft Sandra has a great hardware testing suite,it is free ,but there is a pro version that is more extensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back