Random restart into horrible video mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, was googling my errors and found you, so I'll dump my problems here.

Was happily surfing the net when my computer restarted. When Windows XP Pro came back up it was in 16 bit color at 640 resolution. Windows has recovered from a serious error. I managed to change my resolution and color depth back and was working fine for quite a while.

Then I was playing some good ol half life 1 today and my computer hard locked suddenly. Winamp was still paying for a couple seconds then started to skip rapidly. I hit the reset button and windows came up at 16 color and 320 res again. There was no serious error this time.

I pulled up the event viewer and here's all the information I have:

12:46:42 AM, 9/1/2006
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0x000015d0, 0xa63debc8, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini090106-01.dmp.

12:51:15 AM, 9/1/2006
Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 000015d0, parameter3 a63debc8, parameter4 00000000.

The hard lockup produced no errors from what I can tell.
From what I see on the forums you guys can tell a lot from the minidumps, I will attach it to the thread.

Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your minidump crashes at nv4_disp.dll. This is part of your Nvidia graphics card drivers.

Uninstall and reinstall you graphics card drivers.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

I'm updating my drivers as we speak, could a fault in the card cause a crash in the drivers? My card does run very hot, thinking about buying a new cooler for it, but not if the card is faulty, gonna need that money for a new one.

EDIT: Ok updated drivers and when it told me to restart, it restarted into 16 color mode at 640 resolution again. Is my video card going or something? I can change it back fine again... I'll let you guys know if it locks up anymore.

EDITx2: It seems my computer starts in 16 color mode at 640 resolution at every restart, no matter if it crashes or not, this started after I got the first crash (the one I got the minidump from). I have attached a screenshot of what my desktop looks like when it starts up in this way. And also, every previous time it starts in 640, I guess I just got my resolutions wrong, sorry. (editing it in my previous post too)

I suggest you completely uninstall your video card drivers, then run the Drivercleaner programme from HERE.

Once you`ve done that, download and install the latest drivers for your card. See if that helps.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back