Random Restarts on newly built computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just built a new computer and it ran great for about a week or so.

ASUS P5K-V LGA 775 Intel G33 ATX Intel Motherboard
GeForce 8600GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
Rosewill RX950-S-B ATX Power SupplyIntel core 2 quad q6600
OCZ (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

also running Windows XP Professional with sp2

the computer is randomly restarting while in Windows, while loading the OS, while going through the normal boot process, and even restarted once while in the bios. No blue screen or anything. any idea on what it might be?

EDITED:
Can't currently post a link but here's the info:
w3.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182096
Rosewill RX950-S-B ATX 12V v2.2 & EPS 12V v2.91 950W Power Supply 100 - 240 V TUV, FCC, UL, CE, ROHS
i must have cut some things out when i posted

Rosewill RX950-S-B ATX ??? Never heard of it. With the specs of your rig, your PSU is about the second most important component (after cpu).
Can you give us the spec of this psu? Amps on each Rail (12V, 5V) and over all wattage please.

Ok that's a pretty awesome supply, so that's not the issue.(nice choice)
But it does sound like an over taxed psu, so it might be the mobo touching the case somehow. I know it's a real "pita", but you might have to remove the mobo check that it's mounted properly and not grounding a circuit trace somewhere.

Before that, try resetting bios options to fail safe defaults/save exit.

The other thing it can be (if not bad memory) is you forgot to put thermal paste on your cpu before installing the hsf and it's badly overheating.

thermal paste is on the cpu so i dont think thats the issue. it was doing restarts after being on for hours and also on fresh starts after hours of being turned off.

the system would reset while in the bios screen so wouldn't that mean that the bios settings aren't the culperate?

though time consuming, your right, might good idea on possibly checking the mb. if the mb is somehow touching the case, could it possibly have long term effects on my systems performance. aka could it have permenently damaged my board?

i removed one stick of the ram, and also flashed the bios and reset it. its been working fine so far (so about the last hour). problem though is i did them at the same time so not sure which helped >_<.

great ideas. ill keep you posted on my findings.

Ok well if the Bios flash or reset helped (i.e. it's not restarting), then I recommend not mucking about in the case. If it's not broke don't fix it, kinda thing.

If the mobo was/is touching the case, my fear is that it might have damaged your very nice psu. :(

Well let's keep our fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back