Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello
Win XP SP2
P4 2.4 GHZ
Nvidia fx5200 128mb GPU
1Gb ram (2 x 512)
80gb ATA HDD

My computer just randomly restarts itself with nor prior warning, there is no BSOD. I have scanned for viruses, spyware and done a registry fix. Just today i did a quick restore (which restored my system to when i first installed windows) but it is still restarting at random. The only recent change i can think of before this happened was that we bought a wireless router (although this computer is running on an Ethernet cable through one of its ports), and i removed an old dvd drive replacing it with a new one which isnt actually connected to my power supply. To try and fix this problem we have also bought a new power supply which was installed about 2 weeks ago.

download speedfan and post what info it gives in temps and voltages, both when your PC is doing nothing (idle) and while its doing some intensive work (eg video editing/games etc)

Start>Run>cmd then do a chkdsk /f

Have you checked for all drivers updated?

open up an explorer window and navigate to the C:\Windows\Minidump folder and post 5 of the most recent ones here.

idle
Idle.jpg

used
used.jpg

Most of my drivers are fully updated, did motherboard and Ethernet last night. There is a newer nVidia driver release not sure ether to get it it isnt too much newr than the one i have been running for a while.

cant find the minidump at that location

the comp restarted during scandisk before it even got through the 2nd phase, shall i try again?

the temps look fine, but i'm concerned about Temp3. Can you find out what its pointing to? you may need to check another program like everest home that has temperature sensing and compare results between them..

you mentioned that you got a new PSU. Can you tell me whats on the label?

Try the chkdsk /f again, if you can make it perform on the next reboot then let it do so, or use recovery console etc.

Right click on My Computer>Properties>Advanced Tab>Startup and Recovery [Settings]
Under System Failure
-check the box "Write an event to the system log"
-uncheck "Automatically Restart"
under Write Debugging Information
-drop down box to "Complete Memory Dump"
-location box should read %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP

when your PC restarts, post the info on the BSOD or post the minidump into your next post from the minidumps folder.

my PSU is a Coolermaster, 430W.
Temp 3 is my processor because it usually runs about that hot, sometimes hotter but never beyond 70C, it has never given me trouble before.

chkdsk has found run and its still happening

It rebooted on me again, but there is still no error report or minidump folder?

***UPDATE***

im not sure if this narrows it down but, the comp turned itself on after i turned it off... the lights went off and the fans went off....then it started up by itself...

you might want to check that your anti virus software is up-to-date. There is a new worm called W32/IRCbot.worm! which makes your computer restart continuously once it has infected your PC.

Hope that helps...

used a Mcaffee stinger to scan for worms but nothing came up...

another thing i might add.... the many times ive been into safe mode recently for virus scans and the like the comp hasnt rebooted on me yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back