Random Restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Recentetly put together a new machine. First off, I got bad RAM, this was replaced and the BSOD's stopped. Now I am getting random restarts, mainly in the middle of games. RAM has been chacked and is fine, no overheating problems at all....could someone have a look at my dump files and give an opinion please?

I have also noticed a few say it could be the PSU -12V rail, mine is running 0.8A on -12V

Machine is:

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6Ghz
Gainward 7900GS 512
1 GB OCZ platinum 800Mhz
1 SATAII and 1 IDE HDD

Thanks,

Adam

Attachments

• minidumps.zip
    50.3 KB · Views: 6
Opens fine for me, using WinAce. Will re-add without zipping them, and hopefully will be ok then.

Ah, and the bugcheck error was 0x1000000a (0x04ca083c, 0x000000ff, 0x00000001, 0x80540895)

Well.....

This one is not as cut and dry as others I've looked at.

The first one 120806-01 - had issues with CSRSS.exe which is a system file (Client Server Runtime Process) UNLESS is it located somewhere other than c:\windows\system32 ... then it could be a virus or infected with a virus...
let's hope not... Count =1

The second one 120906-01 - rtkHDAud - Realtek High Def Audio - Count =1
The third one 120906-02 - nv4_disp.dll - Nvidia display driver - Count =1
The forth one 120905-03 - ntoskrnl.exe - The os Kernel - Count =3
The firth one 120906-04 - ntoskrnl.exe - see above - Count =4

So, there appears to be a bit of instability. A lot of times people blame this on RAM, which you seem to have replaced and gained some stability. I assume you've checked it out (your current memory) with memtest, etc. If you have more slots than memory, conside using different slots incase the memory is not bad, but the slot on the MB is bad - it happens.

I would check the HD to make sure there is not any file corruption on the disk or in the page file. Run a defrag and full disk check to make sure (in case you have not already).

I would also look at the powersupply; it could also be a silent contributor to the problem. It may not be able to handle the load causing failures during different processes. Check with this calculator.
http://www.journeysystems.com/power_supply_calculator.php

Powersupplies that come with the case are historically weak and if they don't cause a bluescreen - die a premature death...

Also some less known power supply manufactures over spec their power supplies capabilites. Read the opening page on the power supply calculator as it helps identify how to spot a weak powersupply. You can also tell a good power supply by it's weight (editorial).

I would also investigate the csrss.exe just to make sure it is not infected.....

I'm sorry there is not a smoking gun on this one...

Faulty RAM

One minidump is crashed with bugcheck code 1A and one minidump is crashed at IRQL 28 (ie clock level IRQL). They are symptoms of faulty ram. Run memtest to stress test the ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back