Random Shut-Downs with an Iwill KK266plus-R system

Status
Not open for further replies.
My recently home-constructed Iwill KK266plus-R system has been quite abruptly spontaneously turning itself off and restarting lately, for no apparent reason. The shutdowns occur during no particular usage of the machine or with any pattern. The system simply turns off right in the middle of something, usually turning itself immediately back on (essentially as if I hit the reset switch.) My initial suspicions were that I had an inadequate power supply (250w), however before I ran out and bought a new one, I thought I'd ask if anyone here had similar problems. Specs are:

Iwill KK266plus-R w/ 950mhz Athlon (currently running on a 100mhz bus)
3dfx Voodoo3 3000 AGP 16MB
128 MB SDRAM
Two hard drives, one 40 GB 7200 rpm, one 4 GB 5400 rpm
DVD-ROM, Floppy, Keyboard, Optical Mouse, Monitor, On-board sound w/ speakers, network adapter

Any help is appreciated!

Screen to black & reboot is usually a sign of overheating, & not just the cpu. In todays modern rigs, proper case cooling & ambient temperature control is important for the cpu, vid-card, chipset, & hard drive. Especially if stressed by an application like a game. It could be your underpowdered psu, but you don't have alot of componets.
to determine power supply requirements

The Famous PSU Thread

2ndly, it could be a software problem, corrupted file, or a conflict. Check w/ Iwill & their board.
"KK266 Komplaints"
http://www.overclockers.com/tips342/

Similar problem here-->
http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=170&highlight=black

I've seen VIA chipsets be the cause of this. Make sure you have the newest video drivers for your graphics card and lthe atest 4-in-1s from VIA.

Overheating and your underpowered PSU are likely culprits (You are using 4 hard disks for example, which requires more power than the average user). I suggest disconnecting all but one of those hard disks.. Two if you are using RAID I suppose. See if this makes a difference.

If you are using Windows 2000 or Windows XP, you can find a frequently updated system error log in Control Panel/Adminstrative Tools/Event Viewer . this will help you pinpoint the problem.

Yet more frustrations...

This problem seems to occur even MORE frequently now. I installed the most recent 4 in 1 drivers overtop of the ones included with the drive, disconnected all but one hard drive, and have been closely monitoring CPU temp in my VIAhm ....the temp seems to stay in the mid-high forties (Celsius), and the restarting now happens even during startup, before Windows even loads, so I don't think it's software. Any help?

Even Worse

And now the system has taken to turning off completely and not turning back on. Thpppt. I have removed all components except the essentials (Motherboard, CPU, RAM - connected to mouse & Keyboard) and upon pressing the power on button, the system appears to power up (fans start blowing, some mobo lights turn on) but nothing happens. I have replaced the RAM with a new chip but to no avail. I am beginning to suspect a faulty processor. Any help?

Yet another twist to the situation

In a fit of frustration, I started moving components from the troubled system into various configurations with other pieces lying around and lo-and-behold upon attempting to pull the ATX power connecter from the board I discovered that the power connecter had become PHYSICALLY SOLDERED to the board. After much yanking I was able to get the connector free, however several of the power supply connector's prongs are completely blackened and the connector on the motherboard is also stained brown. Uh, oops. Was this a result of an underpowered system? Or a mismatched voltage setting between motherboard and power supply???? Please, someone fill me in....Is either component salvagable? If both must be replaced, what mistakes should I avoid making when replacing them????? Help!

Are you sure the psu is only 250w? That seems kind of low to be able to solder it's prongs to the motherboard. do you have another system you can test the power supply on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back