Random Static with sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluemouse

Hey all,

I recently built a new computer, and I have been having a sound issue once in a while when playing a game/watching movies. The sound will be going okay, and all of a sudden i get this loud static sound, which goes away after a few seconds when playing a game or just ffwding/rewinding watching a video.

Any ideas? I mean, it isnt a huge issue, but it is a bit of a nuisance.

Cheers:)

What is the name of the audio device? Is it onboard audio or a sound card? You should tell us this info.

Are you using the latest drivers for your sound device? Outdated drivers can potentially cause the problem.

An equally likely culprit for this problem is bad speakers. What speakers are you using? Are they plugged in to the right jack?

It is an integrated card - Soundmax Integrated Digital HD Audio.

Speakers are not a problem because I have tested them on other computers with no problem. I also get the problem with headphones. Speakers are plugged in correctly.

My computer is brand new, and the drivers are pretty new as well.

Cheers

could be the actual jack are not contacting properly. wiggle the connector around and see if it fixes it.

otherwise it may be a bad grounding for the computer or the speakers (if they use the mains power), which would require just moving to another power point (from different circuit if available) to test out.

another actual power point in the house or your friend's place. That should eliminate electrical grounding issues being your culprit.

If there is no updated realtek drivers from your motherboard manufacturer's website (uninstall, clean driver and reinstall with new one), and still giving you problems, you might as well invest in a proper sound card.....

yea, its weird though, because it happens when i maximize/minimize or pause/start a movie, but only once in a while. When I change scenes it goes away, and when it happens in games once in a while it goes away by itself. Pausing and starting movies doesnt get rid of it though :s

Strange...

IDEA:

I had the problem once as well. Wanna know what I found? It was my microphone! Do you have one plugged in? If so, try talking into it and see if your voice comes out.

get a can of compressed air and blow inside the hole.. maybe dirt got in it..

have you considered getting a proper sound card?

Too few pci slots. My mobo only has 2 pci (a bunch of pcie though) and I am already using one for my wifi card. Its also not that good of a design, so if I put in another it will limit the circulation of my graphics card.

It isn't dirty, because Ive had the issue since I got my mobo and it came sealed in plastic.

Aliens are trying to steal your thoughts, the static is a download burp.

Really though, have you tried rolling back your drivers? And even if your drivers are newish, that doesn't mean they're the latest - check the Creative Site if you havn't already.

Ive recently upgraded my drivers to the newest one and it still has the problem. The drivers I was using before were the ones that came with the motherboard.

seriously dude, i don't know whats up.. theres a few things that you could do..

- check cables again, test using different speakers, etc.
- looking at the actual motherboard, and see if its got no signs of damage and taking a close look to the connector for the audio out jacks..
-you say its random? have you had a look to see what programs are running (or check if any spike during the time you get static) or use the msconfig trick to see if its caused by something that start up..
- don't forget to check the source media files on another PC or audio capable device..

If you do run out of options, then there are sound cards that you can get that aren't necessarily using your PCI slots. Google for External Sound cards or USB Sound cards etc.

Thanks for your response :)

N3051M said:
- check cables again, test using different speakers, etc.

Tried speakers on different computer and there were no probs

- looking at the actual motherboard, and see if its got no signs of damage and taking a close look to the connector for the audio out jacks..

Doesnt seem to be a problem, and there are no leaking caps, etc.

-you say its random? have you had a look to see what programs are running (or check if any spike during the time you get static) or use the msconfig trick to see if its caused by something that start up..

Completely random. It has happened since I installed XP the first time, and hasn't stopped. Happens regardless of what programs are open and/or when I run the files. The only thing they have in common is it occurs when there is a pause/break in the audio, or a shift from one to another kinda.

- don't forget to check the source media files on another PC or audio capable device..

It isn't just one media file, its all of them

If you do run out of options, then there are sound cards that you can get that aren't necessarily using your PCI slots. Google for External Sound cards or USB Sound cards etc.

They are rather expensive, but I suppose that is an alternative. I dont really want to get another sound card just because asus can't make decent enough integrated ones though :(

tweakboy said:
These guys right, it could be the microphone
No mic attached.

hope you get it fixed, gl,

still can't figure it out. Ive already tried reinstalling my drivers, checking the connections, and calling asus, but nothing worked.

Just maybe it would help to know the exact name of the motherboard (its audio device) and the name and model of the speakers. Maybe if you Google "<name of speaker> random static sound" then it will come up with results saying that it's a known problem.
It's a long shot, but it's worth a try seeing as the most probable causes have been ruled out.

It isn't the speakers because they have no issues on other computers.

Motherboard is asus p5nsli, comes with soundmax drivers. Speakers are those logitech ones, 5.1.

Trust me, I have exhausted my google search options with this issue. Techspot is not the first place I come when I have issues, it is one step before the manufacturer, or in this case (when the manufacturers are complete tools), my last resort before I go to the hardware store and buy a sledgehammer.

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back