Random wireless/ graphics crash HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oRB06

Id like to satrt by saying a big thankyou to everyone who helped me with my last tech crisis here at Techspot. Cheers to all of you.

Unfortunatey im back again, and the problems arent much less serious.

So, as usual here are the system specs

My system specs havnt changed, here they are listed again.
-------------------
System Info Version: 2.2
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP
Processors: 2 x Intel Pentium® 4 @ 3.42 GHz
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS
Total Physical Memory: 1 GB
Free Physical Memory: 576.88 MB
Motherboard Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Motherboard Model: 8I945PL-G
--------------------
Description: Primary Display Driver
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Name: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS
Total Local Video Memory: 512 MB
Total Local Texture Memory: 512 MB
Total AGP Memory: 248 MB
Display Driver: nv4_disp.dll
Display Driver Version: 6.14.10.8198
Driver WHQL Certified: Yes
DirectX Version: 9.0
------------------
Description: Motherboard
Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Model: 8I945PL-G
Version: x.x
BIOS Vendor: Award Software International, Inc.
BIOS Version: GBT - 42302e31
BIOS Release Date: 31/03/06
BIOS Properties: Plug and Play, Flash
------------------
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP
Version: 5.1.2600
Service Pack: Service Pack 2
Locale: GB
Desktop Width: 1280
Desktop Height: 1024
Desktop BPP: 32
------------------
Total Physical Memory: 1 GB
Free Physical Memory: 576.88 MB
Total Pagefile Memory: 2.41 GB
Free Pagefile Memory: 2.06 GB
-----------------
Number: 1
Designation: PCI-1
Type: PCI
Characteristics: <unknown>
Data Bus Width: 32
Details: In Use, Long
Device Class: Network Adapter
Device Name: Belkin 802.11g Wireless Card
Device Manufacturer: Belkin Components
Device Driver Date:
Device Vendor ID: 0x1814
Device ID: 0x0301
Device Sub-System ID: 0x700e1799
Device Revision: 0x00
IRQ: 20
----------------
Temperatures:
Motherboard 83 °C (181 °F)
CPU 78 °C (172 °F)
GPU 45 °C (113 °F)
GPU Ambient 36 °C (97 °F)
WDC WD1600JD-00GBB0 33 °C (91 °F)
----------------

The Problem

My computer is crashing, randomly. heres an exnmaple scenario for anyone who wants to help.
Ill boot the Pc and play some music as normal, then ill load a game, say jedi academy or guild wars....ill be playing for any length of time 10-20 mins, and then suddenly the PC will freeze, for about 5 seconds, the audio will loop, then it will unfreeze and almost immediately freeze again. If i kill the game im running, the problem stops, but any other game i run has serious problems , graphical artifacts and will creash or freeze in the same manner soon after starting. Songs wont play back correctlly, on freezing the internet always disconnects, and my gigabyte onboard sounds detects all the plugged in acks as if id taken them out and re-plugged them again.

Obviousl this raises concernes about the nature of the problem...is it the mobo, GPU or the internet. I was fixed on the GPU, but for some reason disabling the Net and playing offline means that theres no crash. Using the net and not playing a game means theres no crash, do them both together and whoa...theres a crash. This is my second Net card ive had this problem with...is this my mobo acting up??

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Cheers guys

go to start > run > dxdiag and see if your videocard is ok in the Display tab and update your cards, see if that helps any

Ive checked thigns out in Dxdiag as you said, nothing wrong there.. I ran 3dmark 2001 and the text didnt complete before the random freezing began.
It might be worth nothing that before i started using wireless internet there were no problems of this kind with my machine. ITs only after i installed (first a wirless USB key and then a belkin wireless internal card) wireless that this started occuring.

Any theories??

left pc on, played games all day, was fine....went downstairs to chat to some people and left the pc unsupervised for about 30 mins...came back and the PC had rebooted, windows reported recovering froma serious error, IE it crashed randomly....so, maybe this is related to something else??

Remove the belkin card driver and reboot the PC.

What I would do here is to delete that profile you use to login with. Go into your Administrator account then click on control panel, click on system icon. Click on advanced, then on user profiles, delete the corrupted profile. Your files and games will stay in tack.

Favories, desktop, history, shortcuts, cookies will be gone..

I did as you said and GW ran smoothly and absolutely fine for about 2.5 hours....brilliant, thought youd cracked it. Then suddely out of the blue...it froze, the PC struggled on for another minute or so in agony, then blackscreened and restarted. Nasty.

Maybe the belkin drivers didnt come out properly??

this isnt heat related, the temps were fine...

Cheers tho?
Rob

Booted into windows....turned on my external 250 gig drive, windows acknowledged it being connected "buh bing!" and then suddenly, blackscreen and restart?!
I use this drive A LOT, its rarely off, could this have something to do with my random crashes?

Cheers
Rob

Same thing is happening to me. The system randomly freezes. When I disable my wireless network card it's fine. I would like to stay wireless (the wife hates the cable running across the house) so does anyone know of a work around on this?

new info

I disabled auto restart on system error feature from my computer.

the error message im now receiving is

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

any ideas what this means?

Cheers
Rob

the error message im now receiving is

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

any ideas what this means?
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is a very wide range of problems.. Most common being temperature, hardware/driver fault, software and/or RAM (pretty much everything :D)

Did you see something on the screen at the time like "caused by ntskwhatever" or something like that?

Upload a couple of recent minidump files from your C:\windows\minidump folder and one of us will have a look at them to try and find some pointer whats causing it.

Suggestions in the meantime:
-update drivers
-run the PC until it reboots/BSODs then go directly into BIOS and have a look at the current temps
-have a crack at this: Tutorial: How to use Memtest

Happy hunting :)

I ran memtest86 until it had completed 3 full passes, no problems
i ran heavyload and GPU stressz testers until the temps maxed out
CPU- 49deg
GPU- 60deg

no problems there then.... all my drivers are updated to the l;atest versions, i obtained all the downloads from the oficial sites....so what the hell is causing all of this??

cheers for the input
RobT

Here are some very recent minidumps
thanks to anyone who decides to wade in and take a look

Cheers
RobT

two crash are IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a) > Driver fault > RT61.sys

relates to something about wifi.. try updating your wifi adapter's drivers and anything else related to network and wifi?

the third one FAT_FILE_SYSTEM (23) > NULL_CLASS_PTR_DEREFERENCE > Fastfat.SYS

could be due to either bad RAM (test using memtest) or a corrupt driver. are you by any chance using a scsi drive?

attatched are the readouts if you want to read them..

Cheers

Thanks, really appreciate that. I thought it might be Wifi, ill update everything i can and see if that makes any difference.

Cheers again

alas more crashes

more crashes more BSODS and more Errors....help!

NDIS.sys, was loisted in the BSOD

Cheers
RobT

..-01.dmp:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)

..-02:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (d1)

Both minidumps crash at driver fault>RT61.sys

Try remove the wifi adapter or disable it and see if its stable. Maybe also check that you have the latest motherboard chipset drivers.

NDIS is related to some networking and maybe wifi.. i don't know but this may help: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293077

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back