RDRAM Upgrade...Is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It won't affect your loading speed, because games (in general) don't load everything into memory at first. The speed is limited by your hard disk drive. Then again, if you have enough memory, you could use a ramdisk ;)

Originally posted by GreatBarrier86
Ramdisk? i never heard of it what is it?

In short, it's allocating a chunk of your memory to be like a HDD partition, in that you save files to it and they're permanently in until you restart. Common sense tells me that the RamDisk program actually saves the information to the HDD upon shutdown/program close and reloads it once it's started again, but I've never used one. Good if you're accessing certain files quite frequently. Or, if you're insane, and you have a system with 1+GB of memory and an old, say, 500MB hard drive, you can use it just to increase your hard drive space. It can really speed up the performance of, like a server for example, if say every employee in the building needs to get one required file, the admin sh/would put it on a Ramdisk.

If you have the money (which by looking at your system I presume you do) and think it's worth it, than knock yourself out. If I were you I would just spend that $350 on something else, something more worth it.

Originally posted by GreatBarrier86
ok thanx i still have some money left over from the Dell 50k Prize i won so cool.

$50000????
I would maybe think of putting another 512mb in but I doubt I would go as far as to put in another Gb!!!
Congratulations on the prize...

actually thats what i am doing i'm going from 512 to 1.5. unfortunately i cant put 2gb in this computer. 1066Mhz RDRAM only can be put in as 1.5GB max

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back