Re-applying Thermal Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I've had my computer for 3 years and lately I've been having lots of problems with it freezing up during games. I checked the temperature via Motherboard Monitor and it seems that my CPU has been running at 60+degrees celcius during game stress and idles in the low to mid 50's. Does this mean it's time to re-apply thermal grease or some Arctic Silver or could this be an issue of replacing the heatsink? Currently with Warcraft III running, the side of the case off and the room temperature at about 65degrees Farenheit, the cpu temperature is 54degrees celcius. Any advice on this would be helpful. If I do need to re-apply thermal grease what would the procedure involve.

Athlon 2100XP
Asus A7S333MOBO
Radeon 9000 64MB
No OC

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot

Your temps don't seem that high but if you are
having heat related lock ups, then yes to re-applying
artic silver, you may want to take a can of
compressed air and blow out any dust and lint
build up around the cpu, also consider a new
heatsink and fan.
G'Luck

Clean the surfaces well of heat sink pookie, and then apply a thin coat to each surface. It seems to me that your hsf is probably just enough to keep it cool under non gaming uses, but gets saturated with heat when gaming. There are better, and that doesn't mean pricey.

get some electrical degreaser (available at electronics parts stores). Comes in a spray can.

remove CPU and spray entire top of cpu with degreaser until all grease melts off.

then use a can of compressed air and dry it thoroughly.

place artic silver grease thinly on the top so it covers the top. leave a 2cm space around all edges. if you have an older cpu with just a die, then it covers the entire die, but don't be excessive, a smidgin will be enough.

put cpu and fan back on and reconnect. be careful not to use too much pressure when putting fan on - you don't want to crack the die on the cpu.

Thanks for all the advice guys. You are all spot on. I went to Intrex and bought a new heat sink for $10US. The artic silver alone was $6 so i figured why not replace my 3 year old old Heatsink. The new heatsink had its own thermal pad. It was a pain in the bum to remove my old heatsink and I was really worried I'd mess up but I'm back up and running. I've been playing a game for roughly an hour and the highest the CPU got to was 52degrees celcius. That's in a warm (70-74degree Farenheit) Room and with the side of the case back on. Its not great, but it's not that bad.

My pc just went down because the processor overheated, so thanks for the advice given to tarheelfan, it helped me a lot as well.

Thanks

(do you know which processors or heatsinks come with their own pads becuase as tarheelfan rightly said, replacing the heatsink is a bum to do.)

most factory processors come with with either grease or a pad.

but most factory fans just do a minmial job..... so if you want better cooling get a better fan with artic silver grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back