Re-install Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone please tell me how to re-install Windows XP professional. I keep getting "error code 800b0100, no signature present, failed to install catalogs, set up log files should contain more files". I cannot start the laptop up, but am able to start copying the instal disc, but it soon gives the above warnings. I am able to Shift + F10 to go to the black screen, where I tried to enter "cd\windows\system32\ enter rename catroot2 catold enter" but it will not accept it and access is denied.
Does someone know how to override this serious problem and have an easy sollution? I am afraid of having to ditch my laptop if all else fails.
Greetings from Holland, Jackie :knock:

Do you have any Norton (Symantec) products installed ? If the answer is yes, suggest you disable them prior to accessing the Windows Update site. REMEMBER to reenable them after the installation and/or after any required reboot.
or any firewall or AV program running... disable them...
have seen this when part of XP SP1 is missing... and your trying to reinstall SP2 version, suggest go back to XP SP1 and try... then update to SP2.
strange but it seems to work most of the time...

ensure you have admin rights on the laptop. Installing XP is easy, just pop the CD before booting the computer. Follow the directions. Bear in mind everything will be wiped out. Then reinstall all your security stuff BEFORE starting any serious internet use.

re-installing XP isnt that easy

wish I could disable the firewall or AV-program, however I am unable to get into the laptop and give any commands. The existing windows is not running at all. When I turn it on all I get is a small blue window saying setup is being restarted; windows XP Prof installing windows in 39 min; error has been encountered that prevents from cont.; failed to install product catalog, logfiles should contain more info; one of the components could not be installed. My Windows XP disc doesnt say SP1 or SP2, so I dunno what version it is. With shift + F10 I can get into a black screen but it wont alter cd\windows\system32\ into rename catgroot2 catold. I am at a stand still now and hope that you folks can give me more ideas, if its hopeless I will have to throw the Dell Latitude laptop away.

You can't rename the catalog files from Windows because they're in use. You need to boot to Recovery Console with the XP CD.

My Windows XP disc doesnt say SP1 or SP2, so I dunno what version it is. With shift + F10 I can get into a black screen but it wont alter cd\windows\system32\ into rename catgroot2 catold.
In small print it should tell you SP1 or SP2 if not Im sure it is XP - only...
You can not rename a file that is in use... just like "Mictlantecuhtli" said.
. A question? you said re-install XP when your talking like you were repairing!.(True or False). If all else fails you might have to FORMAT C: and Reinstall... but try... Boot to DOS..then enter c:\windows\system32 rename command.com to command.old and win.com to win.old....When you reboot and use setup from the CD it will think you do not have windows installed and sometimes you can reinstall XP like it was a clean install... I then suggest you get a new CD that has SP2 (slipstreamed) incorporated. also start->run-> type winver-enter will tell what version your running.... SP2 will not allow reload/repair of a lower version...

installed okay finally, except.................

Thanks to everyone's helpfull tips the Windows XP states it is succesfully installed, however a log on problem has developed. I get no further than the "to begin, click user name" page, no matter what I type in as a password, it wont accept it. On the bottom right it states "after you log on, you can add or change accounts thru control panel". There is no way I can get to the opening "start" page where I can get into the control panel.
Do I have to re-install windows again now? I passed on registering with windows when it asked me to, I pressed "register later", which I regret now. :dead:

No you should not have to re-install... seems that some where your system failed to clear...try - Shutoff entire system... wait about 3 min... (nice time to get a cup of coffee or glass of icetea) restart computer...
You may check the permission settings of the following registry key to
isolate the issue:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate]

1. Run REGEDIT and navigate to
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate]
; in the left pane, right click [WindowsUpdate], and click Permissions.

2. Click the Advanced button.

3. Click to highlight the items in the 'Permission entries' respectively,
click Edit; ensure that all the check boxes under the 'Allow' column are
selected, and no check box under the 'Deny' column is selected; clear the
check box next to 'Apply these permissions to objects and/or containers
within this container only'; and click OK.

4. Select the check box next to 'Inherit from parent the permission entries
that apply to child objects. Include these with entries explicitly defined
here', and click OK.

5. Click OK.

6. Check to see if the problem still exists.
try next if above fails.
"REGEDIT" yourself to registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS NT/CURRENTVERSION/WINLOGON/
look to find (logontype ) it should read 0x00000001 (1)
means your admin and should need no password.
while there check to make sure your name is correct in "defaultusername"... it is case sensitive.. and "passwordexpirewarning" should read (14) never

Jacqueline said:
I get no further than the "to begin, click user name" page, no matter what I type in as a password, it wont accept it.
If that's the case, you should be able to log in in safe mode as administrator.

did u upgrade memory right before that happened? looks like it. that means that memory is not compatible with your system... remove it.. or it will happen again... if not, and if u r not affraid to loose data on this laptop.. do clean install with formatting the HD... always works... regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back