Re-Installed WinXP on Comp A, won't run on Comp B

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheninrome

I tried fixing my sister's computer running WindowsXP. After trying many things, I eventually repaired the OS using the WinXP CD. I tried isolating the problem by transferring her hard drive to my working computer. Even though I knew that re-installing XP may screw things up when it comes to re-activating the product key, I didn't think that it would affect me so early into the process. So the good news is that my sister's hard drive has a good copy of Windows XP running on it. The bad thing is that the hard drive will only work in my computer, and not hers. Is there any way to getting around this? FYI, we've got legal copies of WinXP. If anyone can help, please let me know. For the time being, she's using a spare laptop of mine, and I'd like it back ASAP, hehe.

Thanks.

"I eventually repaired the OS using the WinXP CD"

Q:
Did you run a repair or just reinstall Windows ?

"I tried isolating the problem by transferring her hard drive to my working computer"

Q:
Did you repair/reinstall Windows with the hard drive in your machine or hers ? ie. did you put the HDD in your PC - fix it - and then put the HDD back in her PC?

All your efforts were in vain, UNLESS both PCs had identical hardware, which they didn't!

Backup all your sister's personal files onto your PC or a CD/DVD.
Put the HD back in your sister's PC, and reinstall there from scratch. Then load the motherboard-drivers from her PC, followed by antivirus/firewall. Only now connect it to the web for all the Windows and AV updates. Then use your home network (or the CD/DVD) to transfer the files back.

To answer meatologist, I actually tried repairing Windows using the recovery console, but that's old hat now. And yes, I tried repairing her HD on my machine, then put it back into hers, TNA. I'll try your solution, RBS.

So I reinstalled Windows XP on a fresh hard drive for my sister. What do I do when they ask me to activate Windows? Since the key has been used already, I'm in trouble. I actually installed Linux over Windows, but if anyone knows a way to get pass the activation, let me know. So basically, my sister is going to try out Linux because she doesn't want to pay $150+ just for a string of random letters and numbers that will unlock a copy of Windows. Heh!

search the net and look for some info on activation. WPAEvents modification.

Clearly you should purchase a legal and valid licence from Microsoft. But when the phones are busy, the internet is very resourceful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back