"Re-installing heatsink+CPU(P4) after being pulled out"

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,
my pc was swithing-off without warning(everything just went blank). i assumed it was over heating.
when i looked inside the area below the fan (over the heat sink) was covered in a thick layer of dust.
in my relative inexperince, i tried to remove the fan and clean the heatsink but ended up ripping out the whole assembly.

can some1 plz tell me what would be the safest way to remove the heatsink from the CPu and then go about re-installing the heatsink.

thx
Ps.did i damage the cpu by pulling it out without un-locking the z socket?

As long as the processsor's pins didn't get damaged(broken or bent), then it should still be ok. To put it back in, release the locking lever for the cpu, line up the cpu properly with the socket and carefully put it in the socket. If it requires any force to go in the socket, stop, something is wrong. It should drop right in, unless a pin is bent. Once in, then you can clean the cpu and heatsink contact surfaces to remove the thermal material(if you haven't done this already), and once it's clean, you can apply a small dab(grain of rice) of thermal grease, like artic silver 5, and remount the heatsink. Remember to reattach the fan connector too.

thats a relief,
the pins are all streight.

1 little problem.

the CPU is still glued to the the heatsink...
how do i seperate them...
can i just use a knife, etc.... or is there some sort of solvent that i can use to disolve the thermal material?

thank for the help..
much appreciated...

Hopefully it isn't actually glued on, but rather, just a little stuck. There may be some kind of solvent to remove the thermal material, but without knowing what type of material was used, it could be difficult to know what to try. I would probably try to set the heatsink on the floor, with the fan closest to the floor, and try to twist the cpu off the heatsink(you know, kind of like separating an oreo cookie ;)). If that doesn't work, you could try to pry it off, just be very careful.

Best wishes.
vnf4ultra

DON'T PRY IT

try "twisting" it off.

They're pretty fragile, and levering it off the heatsink is courting disaster

When my heatsink got stuck to the cpu, i took it to the shop, and man twisted it left and right, and it came right off. after taking it off, clean the cpu and the heatsink with some spirit (the paint removing stuff). put some on a cloth, and rub the top of the cpu, and the bottom of the heatsink, then let it dry, and put a fresh layer of paste and hopefully it will work.

i think the cpu and heatsink get stuck together becasue of overheating in the case, at least that was what caused it for me!!

altheman said:
When my heatsink got stuck to the cpu, i took it to the shop, and man twisted it left and right, and it came right off. after taking it off, clean the cpu and the heatsink with some spirit (the paint removing stuff). put some on a cloth, and rub the top of the cpu, and the bottom of the heatsink, then let it dry, and put a fresh layer of paste and hopefully it will work.

i think the cpu and heatsink get stuck together becasue of overheating in the case, at least that was what caused it for me!!

Use some 90% alcohol. But all the methods perfured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back